Big West Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships | Titan Track Complex | Fullerton, Calif. | May 12-13
Big West Conference Event Championships Schedule
Friday Field Program (PDF)
Friday Track Program (PDF)
Saturday Field Program (PDF)
Saturday Track Program (PDF)
Adult Two-Day Pass: $20
Youth/Senior/Student Two-Day Pass: $10
Big West Students: Free
Single Day Tickets:
Adult Pass: $12
Youth/Senior/Student Pass: $7
Big West Students: Free
FULLERTON, Calif. --- The 2017 Big West Track and Field Championships take place at Cal State Fullerton's Titan Track Complex this weekend with FOX Sports Prime Ticket providing a live telecast at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.
The Titans are hosting the championships for the first time since 1999. The event runs Friday-Saturday with the Long Beach State men looking to extend its school record four consecutive championships to five straight, and the UC Davis women seeking their fifth title in the last six years.
FOX Sports Prime Ticket will televise the final day of the championship for the fifth straight year. The regional telecast home of the Big West will carry Saturday's program beginning at 2:00 p.m. with Justin Alderson (PxP), Milena Glusac (analyst) and Courtney Sweet (sideline) providing commentary.
WEEKLY EVENT SQUAD RANKINGS – Top 40
Cal State Fullerton Men
No. 19 Hammer (avg. 54.14m)
No. 21 Triple Jump (avg. 14.29m)
No. 34 100 Meters (avg. 10.58)
Cal State Fullerton Women
No. 12 Triple Jump (avg. 11.96m)
No. 25 Pole Vault (avg. 3.74m)
LAST WEEK'S RECAP
Senior Ifunanya Gwacham totaled a personal best 4,570 points in the heptathlon to place ninth at the Big West Conference Multi Events Championships on Saturday at Titan Track Complex.
Gwacham finished just one place out of scoring for Cal State Fullerton as part of the Big West Championships. Gwacham placed seven spots higher than in 2016.
Junior Jordan Agnew finished in 15th place for the Titans with 4,310 points.
At the Oxy Invite at Occidental College, Thaddeus Smith clocked his fastest time of the season in the 200 meters at 21.53.
Darion Zimmerman's time of 47.28 in the 400 meters was his fastest of the year as he finished fourth overall and first among collegiate runners.
Shelby Hernandez, Jr., clocked a time of 1:51.08 in the 800 meters for a second place finish, while in the women's 100 meters, freshman Naiah Boardingham set a new PR in a time of 12.26.
2017 RECORDS BROKEN
- Freshman Naiah Boardingham broke her own Cal State Fullerton program record in the long jump on April 30 at the Fresno State Invitational. Boardingham's mark of 6.10 meters in the long jump was not only good for first place, but is a new program record at Fullerton, besting her previous mark of 5.94 meters set earlier in the spring.
- Junior Trevor Gorwin became a two-time Cal State Fullerton record holder on April 21 as his throw of 60'9.25" (18.52 meters) in the shot put set the new Titan program record at the Triton Invitational. Gorwin now holds the Fullerton record in both the hammer and the shot put as his mark surpassed Don Turri's throw of 59'11" (18.26 m) which had stood since 1973.
- Gorwin broke his own Cal State Fullerton school record on April 13 with a distance of 202-10 (61.82 meters) in the hammer throw at the Mt. SAC Relays hosted by El Camino College.
- Senior Ty'Jalayah Robertson matched her personal best and Cal State Fullerton record at the Mt. SAC Relays on April 14 on the campus of El Camino College. In the high jump, Robertson's mark of 5'8" placed second in the event. She previously hit the mark in 2015.
- Junior Bryn Williamson broke her own Cal State Fullerton pole vault record on April 1 at the UCLA Legends Invitational at Drake Stadium. Williamson placed second in the event as her mark of 13'0.25" (3.97 meters) set the new Fullerton record. The Bakersfield, Calif., native became the first Titan to clear 13 feet in the history of the program. Earlier this season on March 4, Williamson's mark of 3.93 meters at the RCC Quad Meet had broken CSF's previous pole vault record (3.92 m) which had stood since 2003.
- Sophomore Kelsey McKelvey broke her own record in the javelin throw with a mark of 42.64 meters on March 10, placing first in the event.
Cal State Fullerton broke five program indoor records during the 2017 season.
- Freshman Samantha Huerta set the program's new one-run mile record with a time 5:01.67 at the Huksy Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Sophomore Brianna Jacklin set the new record for the Titans in the 5,000 meters with a time of 17:53.49 on Feb. 10 at the Husky Invitational.
- The women's distance medley team of junior Arianna Fuentes (1,600), freshman Chanel Rogers (400), Huerta (800) and senior Sierra Ungerman (1,200) set the new Fullerton record with a time of 12:05.41 at the Husky Invitational on Feb. 10.
- Freshman Shelby Noble set a new Cal State Fullerton indoor track and field record in the pole vault with a mark of 3.75 meters at the Don Kirby Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Freshman Naiah Boardingham opened the season with a new long jump record of 5.70 meters at the Lumberjack Team Challenge on Jan. 21.
LAST YEAR AT THE BIG WEST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS
The Cal State Fullerton outdoor track and field team saw seven school records fall as the Titans claimed four titles at the Big West Championships in 2016.
The Titans won three individual titles in addition to the men's 4x100 meter relay team who not only set a new school record, but set a new Big West Championships meet record and brought home the Titans' first ever title in the 4x100m relay.
India Owens brought home the women's 400-meter hurdles title for the second straight year after teammate Tyler Hardge did the same in 2015. Owens' time of 59.65 shattered the school record that had been set back in 2006 by Destany Cearley.
Eli Penick also brought home the men's 100-meter dash title and demolished the school record with his time of 10.33, running the fastest time out of all Big West athletes this season and the fastest by the conference meet champion since 2003.
Darion Zimmerman won the 400 meters posting a time of 47.46 and was the first Titan to win the title since 2007.
Overall, both squads saw an improvement in point total from 2015 with the men increasing their score by 25 points with 91 points overall, the highest team score since 2007.
The women improved their team score by 20 points with 62 overall, the best score since 2012.
- Junior Trevor Gorwin set his first school record in the hammer throw to earn Big West Men's Field Athlete of the Week honors, it was announced by the conference on March 14.
At his home meet, the Ben Brown Invitational, Gorwin uncorked a throw of 199-10 (60.90m) for a new PR and Cal State Fullerton record. He placed third in the event.
Gorwin also competed in the shot put, and fared well, finishing first overall with a mark of 58-01.75 (17.72m). That performance also was a personal-best.
- Sophomore Diego Courbis was named the co-Big West Men's Track Athlete of the Week, it was announced by the conference on March 28. Courbis posted a winning time in the 400 meter hurdles at the UC Riverside Spring Track Classic. He finished in 52.52, the top time in the Big West by .84 seconds this season, and ranked him No. 15 in the West Region and No. 23 in the NCAA. He shared the honor with UC Irvine senior Lloyd Sicard.
- Bryn Williamson became the first pole vaulter in Titan program history to clear 13 feet as the recipient of Big West Women's Field Athlete of the Week award on April 4. She finished second in the event at the UCLA Legends Invite on April 1, posting a mark of 13-00.25. She broke her own previous record of 12-10.75 set earlier this year at the RCC Quad Meet, which at the time broke a school record that had stood since 2003.
- Anthony Applequist collected his first career Big West Men's Field Athlete of the Week award on April 11 as he set personal and meet records at the Big West Challenge. In winning the triple jump with a mark of 51-00.00 at Long Beach State's Jack Rose Track, he set a new meet record while also placing fourth with a PR of 23-00.50 of long jump.
- Cal State Fullerton senior Darion Zimmerman collected his second Big West Men's Track Athlete of the Week award this season on May 8 after finishing fourth overall – and first among collegians – in the 400 meters at the Oxy Invitational on May 6.
He clocked his fastest time of the year, 47.28, which ranks No. 3 in the Big West.
Zimmerman previously earned Big West Men's Track Athlete of the Week accolades on April 4 after recording personal-bests in two events at the UCLA Legends Invite. Zimmerman ran a 10.57 in the 100 meters and blazed to a 21.16 finish in the 200 meters.
UP NEXT: The NCAA West Region Championships will be held hosted by Texas, May 25-27.
LONGEST-TENURED COACH: As the 2017 season gets underway, cross country and track and field head coach John Elders enters his 29th season at the helm of each program making him the longest tenured head coach in the history of Cal State Fullerton.
Elders was tied with former fencing head coach Heizaburo Okawa (1982-2006) and former men's soccer coach Al Mistri (1981-2005) for 25 years of service at Fullerton. The Orange County native is coach of cross country, women's indoor track and field, and men's and women's outdoor track and field.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (@FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the track and field and cross country teams have established their own official Twitter page (@FullertonTFXC) and Facebook Page (@FullertonTFXC).