FULLERTON, Calif. --- The Cal State Fullerton outdoor track and field team travels to Jack Rose Track as Long Beach State will host the Big West Challenge on Friday for the 25th annual meet which begins with the field events at 1:45 p.m.
Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
The Big West Challenge will begin with the field events as the women's javelin opens the meet with a start time of 1:45 p.m. The track events will begin at 3:30 p.m. with the women's 4x100-meter relay. The day will come to an end with the final event, the men's 4x400m relay, scheduled for a 6:41 p.m. start time.
UCLA LEGENDS INVITE RECAP:
Junior Arianna Fuentes set a new personal best in the 5,000 meters to lead the Cal State Fullerton outdoor track and field team at the UCLA Legends of Track & Field Invitational last weekend.
Fuentes clocked a time of 16:47.68 in the 5,000 meters, besting her PR she set earlier this season at the Ben Brown Invitational by 43 seconds. The time is the second fastest in Cal State Fullerton history.
Junior Bryn Williamson broke her own Cal State Fullerton pole vault record on Saturday. She placed second in the event as her mark of 13'0.25" (3.97 meters) set the new Fullerton record. The Bakersfield, Calif., native became the first Titan to clear 13 feet in the history of the program.
Darion Zimmerman placed third in both the 100 meters (10.57) and 200 meters (21.13) as the senior set personal bests in both events. In addition, Zimmerman's time in the 200 meters is tops in the Big West Conference this season.
Freshman Samantha Huerta recorded a third-place finish in the 800 meters as her time of 2:11.80 was a new PR.
At 15.61 meters, junior Anthony Applequist placed first in the triple jump with his best mark of the season.
Junior Isaiah Marshall placed third in the men's 1,500 meters as his time of 3:59.23 was a PR as he was under four minutes for the first time this year.
2017 RECORDS BROKEN
- Junior Bryn Williamson broke her own Cal State Fullerton pole vault record on April 1 at the UCLA Legends Invitational at Drake Stadium. Williamson placed second in the event as her mark of 13'0.25" (3.97 meters) set the new Fullerton record. The Bakersfield, Calif., native became the first Titan to clear 13 feet in the history of the program. Earlier this season on March 4, Williamson's mark of 3.93 meters at the RCC Quad Meet had broken CSF's previous pole vault record (3.92 m) which had stood since 2003.
- Junior Trevor Gorwin set a new mark in the hammer throw at 60.9 meters at the Ben Brown Invitational on March 10, besting Steven Parsons record of 58.6 meters set in 2016.
- In addition, sophomore Kelsey McKelvey broke her own record in the javelin throw with a mark of 42.64 meters on March 10, placing first in the event.
Cal State Fullerton broke five program indoor records during the 2017 season.
- Freshman Samantha Huerta set the program's new one-run mile record with a time 5:01.67 at the Huksy Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Sophomore Brianna Jacklin set the new record for the Titans in the 5,000 meters with a time of 17:53.49 on Feb. 10 at the Husky Invitational.
- The women's distance medley team of junior Arianna Fuentes (1,600), freshman Chanel Rogers (400), Huerta (800) and senior Sierra Ungerman (1,200) set the new Fullerton record with a time of 12:05.41 at the Husky Invitational on Feb. 10.
- Freshman Shelby Noble set a new Cal State Fullerton indoor track and field record in the pole vault with a mark of 3.75 meters at the Don Kirby Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Freshman Naiah Boardingham opened the season with a new long jump record of 5.70 meters at the Lumberjack Team Challenge on Jan. 21.
Junior Trevor Gorwin set a school record in the hammer throw to earn Big West Men's Field Athlete of the Week honors, it was announced by the conference on March 14.
At his home meet, the Ben Brown Invitational, Gorwin uncorked a throw of 199-10 (60.90m) for a new PR and Cal State Fullerton record. He placed third in the event.
Gorwin also competed in the shot put, and fared well, finishing first overall with a mark of 58-01.75 (17.72m). That performance also was a personal-best.
Sophomore Diego Courbis was named the co-Big West Men's Track Athlete of the Week, it was announced by the conference on March 28.
Courbis posted a winning time in the 400 meter hurdles at the UC Riverside Spring Track Classic. He finished in 52.52, the top time in the Big West by .84 seconds this season, and ranked him No. 15 in the West Region and No. 23 in the NCAA. He shared the honor with UC Irvine senior Lloyd Sicard.
Bryn Williamson became the first pole vaulter in Titan program history to clear 13 feet as the recipient of Big West Women's Field Athlete of the Week award on April 4. She finished second in the event at the UCLA Legends Invite on April 1, posting a mark of 13-00.25. She broke her own previous record of 12-10.75 set earlier this year at the RCC Quad Meet, which at the time broke a school record that had stood since 2003.
Darion Zimmerman earned Big West Men's Track Athlete of the Week accolades on April 4 after recording personal-bests in two events at the UCLA Legends Invite on April 1.
Zimmerman ran a 10.57 in the 100 meters and blazed to a 21.16 finish in the 200 meters. Both performances netted him third place at the prestigious meet. His 200-meter time is tops in the Big West this year.
The Titans will split their squad at three events next week, beginning on Wednesday and Thursday at the CA Invitational Combined Events in Azusa, Calif. In addition the Titans will compete at the Beach Pacific Coast Invite in Long Beach on Thursday. The three-day Mt. SAC Relays take place Thursday, April 13-Saturday, April 15 in Torrance, Calif.
As the 2017 season gets underway, cross country and track and field head coach John Elders enters his 29th season at the helm of each program making him the longest tenured head coach in the history of Cal State Fullerton.
Elders was tied with former fencing head coach Heizaburo Okawa (1982-2006) and former men's soccer coach Al Mistri (1981-2005) for 25 years of service at Fullerton. The Orange County native is coach of cross country, women's indoor track and field, and men's and women's outdoor track and field.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (@FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the track and field and cross country teams have established their own official Twitter page (@FullertonTFXC) and Facebook Page (@FullertonTFXC).