FULLERTON, Calif. --- The Cal State Fullerton outdoor track and field team will travel to Drake Stadium this weekend as UCLA will once again host the two-day Legends of Track & Field Invitational that will begin on Friday. The Bob Larsen Distance Carnival also returns and will be held Friday evening. The Legends meet will conclude on Saturday.
Participating Teams (Legends of Track & Field Invitational): CSUN, Cerritos College, Colorado State University, Cornell, Utah State, University of Minnesota, UC Riverside, University of Nevada (w), Riverside City College, Washington State University, and UCLA.
Participating Teams (Bob Larsen Distance Carnival): Colorado St. ,Utah State, Cheetahs Int'l (W), Stephen F. Austin, Club Run With Us (W), Rice, Long Beach (M), San Bernardino (M), Whittier (M), Portland State, Gonzaga, Pomona-Pitzer (M), Minnesota, Nevada (W), Loyola Marymount, Riverside, UC Riverside, Washington St., Cerritos, Cornell, Pepperdine, El Camino, Cornell, UC Riverside (W), Cal St. Northridge, UC Santa Barbara, Cal St. Fullerton, and UCLA.
TICKETS: Admission is FREE
HOW TO WATCH: The Bruin Legends of Track & Field Invitational and Bob Larson Distance Carnival is coming to Flotrack. FloTrack will provide live coverage of every race, archived videos, and more exclusive content from nationally recognized teams and athletes. Catch all the action and become a FloPRO member today!
ON TV: Available on Roku & Apple TV 4
STREAMING: Only on FloTrack.com - SIGN UP HERE: http://bit.ly/2kn3agi
RESULTS: Live results will be provided by Finished Results. Download the App to follow all the action on your phone or device. FullertonTitams.com will provide updated results at the end of each day.
UC RIVERSIDE SPRING TRACK CLASSIC RECAP:
Diego Courbis' time of 52.52 in the 400 meter hurdles was good for a first-place finish on Saturday at the UC Riverside Spring Track Classic and also marked the fastest time in the Big West Conference this season as Cal State Fullerton finished up competition at UCR Track Stadium.
The Titan women finished fourth with 88 total points, while the men also placed fourth, accumulating 108 points.
Darion Zimmerman set a new personal record in the 200 meters, placing second and clocking a time of 21.33.
Junior Alvin Sung captured a first-place finish in the javelin at 57.30 meters, while Edwin Matthews placed second at 54.84 meters.
Dwayne Lee placed fourth in the 100 meters with a personal best time of 10.80 and finished second in the long jump with a mark of 7.23 meters.
In addition, junior Isaiah Marshall finished first in the 800 meters in a time of 1:54.18.
Ty'Jalayah Robertson placed second in the triple jump with a mark of 12.08 meters.
In the 100 meter hurdles, freshman Tammy Vien placed second in a time of 14.38 seconds.
Bertha Sola set new PRs in both the hammer and discus. The freshman placed second in the discus at 45.82 meters and eighth in the hammer at 46.42 meters.
2017 RECORDS BROKEN
- Junior Trevor Gorwin set a new mark in the hammer throw at 60.9 meters at the Ben Brown Invitational on March 10, besting Steven Parsons record of 58.6 meters set in 2016.
- In addition, sophomore Kelsey McKelvey broke her own record in the javelin throw with a mark of 42.64 meters on March 10, placing first in the event.
- Redshirt junior Bryn Williamson was the first Titan to set a new record during the outdoor season as her mark of 3.93 meters in the pole vault was not only good for a first-place finish at the RCC Quad Meet on March 4, but broke the CSF program record, besting Jennifer Clarke's mark of 3.92 meters from 2003.
Cal State Fullerton broke five program indoor records during the 2017 season.
- Freshman Samantha Huerta set the program's new one-run mile record with a time 5:01.67 at the Huksy Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Sophomore Brianna Jacklin set the new record for the Titans in the 5,000 meters with a time of 17:53.49 on Feb. 10 at the Husky Invitational.
- The women's distance medley team of junior Arianna Fuentes (1,600), freshman Chanel Rogers (400), Huerta (800) and senior Sierra Ungerman (1,200) set the new Fullerton record with a time of 12:05.41 at the Husky Invitational on Feb. 10.
- Freshman Shelby Noble set a new Cal State Fullerton indoor track and field record in the pole vault with a mark of 3.75 meters at the Don Kirby Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Freshman Naiah Boardingham opened the season with a new long jump record of 5.70 meters at the Lumberjack Team Challenge on Jan. 21.
Junior Trevor Gorwin set a school record in the hammer throw to earn Big West Men's Field Athlete of the Week honors, it was announced by the conference on March 14.
At his home meet, the Ben Brown Invitational, Gorwin uncorked a throw of 199-10 (60.90m) for a new PR and Cal State Fullerton record. He placed third in the event.
Gorwin also competed in the shot put, and fared well, finishing first overall with a mark of 58-01.75 (17.72m). That performance also was a personal-best.
Sophomore Diego Courbis was named the co-Big West Men's Track Athlete of the Week, it was announced by the conference on March 28.
Courbis posted a winning time in the 400 meter hurdles at the UC Riverside Spring Track Classic. He finished in 52.52, the top time in the Big West by .84 seconds this season, and ranked him No. 15 in the West Region and No. 23 in the NCAA.
He shared the honor with UC Irvine senior Lloyd Sicard.
UP NEXT: Cal State Fullerton will travel to the Big West Challenge on Friday, April 7 at Long Beach State.
LONGEST-TENURED COACH: As the 2017 season gets underway, cross country and track and field head coach John Elders enters his 29th season at the helm of each program making him the longest tenured head coach in the history of Cal State Fullerton.
Elders was tied with former fencing head coach Heizaburo Okawa (1982-2006) and former men's soccer coach Al Mistri (1981-2005) for 25 years of service at Fullerton. The Orange County native is coach of cross country, women's indoor track and field, and men's and women's outdoor track and field.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (@FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the track and field and cross country teams have established their own official Twitter page (@FullertonTFXC) and Facebook Page (@FullertonTFXC).