Complete Release (PDF)
THE WEEK AHEAD: The Titans (10-13, 3-8) hope to continue along the win column this week and play host to UC Irvine (12-13, 3-8) on Friday before welcoming Long Beach State (13-11, 6-5) on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday's event will be the final in a trifecta of exciting sports events in the building, as both men's and women's basketball teams will take the court earlier in the afternoon. (The Anteaters are on the road on Thursday evening at UC Riverside and please note that the record listed above is prior to that match.)
FRIDAY, NOV. 15 vs. UC IRVINE (Titan Gym), 7 p.m.
Cal State Fullerton (10-13, 3-8) vs. UC Irvine (12-13, 3-8)
Series Record: Irvine leads 29-36
Big West Record: Irvine leads 26-31
First Meeting: Won, Oct. 22, 1980, 3-0 (15-8, 15-6, 15-10) location unknown
Last Meeting: Lost, Oct. 19, 2013, 0-3 (18-25, 17-25, 20-25) at Irvine
Current Streak: Lost 1
Last 10 Meetings: 6-4
SATURDAY, NOV. 16 vs. LONG BEACH STATE (Titan Gym), 7:30 p.m.
Cal State Fullerton (10-13, 3-8) vs. Long Beach State (13-11, 6-5)
Series Record: The Beach leads 5-63
Big West Record: The Beach leads 5-62
First Meeting: Lost, Oct. 10, 1980, 3-0 (4-15, 5-15, 12-15) at Long Beach
Last Meeting: Lost, Oct. 18, 2013, 2-3 (25-20, 25-21,13-25, 19-25, 13-15) at Long Beach
Current Streak: Lost 2Last 10 Meetings: 1-9
LAST WEEKEND: Alyse Hensley led the Titans with 11 kills and Bre Moreland and Holland Crenshaw added 10 kills apiece as Cal State Fullerton ended its six-match losing streak with a 3-0 sweep of visiting UC Riverside in Titan Gym Saturday night. Crenshaw hit a robust .588 without an error in 17 swings. Hensley had just one error in 22 attempts and hit .455 as Fullerton, as a team, had an attack percentage of .327.
The Titans were in complete control through the first two sets, holding the Highlanders to .022 and .086 percentages, respectively. Set three saw 15 ties and 7 lead changes, but a service ace by Julie Consani snapped an 18-18 tie and propelled the Titans to a 7-2 run to end the match.
FOLLOW THE TITANS: Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (CSUF.Athletics), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) and YouTube.com (YouTube.com/csfathletics). In addition, the volleyball team has established its own official Twitter page (@FullertonVB).
TICKETS FOR UPCOMING HOME EVENTS: Tickets can be purchased online at fullertontitans.com, or at the Cal State Fullerton Athletics Ticket Office, located in the Titan House on campus off of Gymnasium Drive on the northeast side of Titan Gym. Game day sales and will call tickets will open an hour prior to the scheduled time at the specific venue.
VOLLEYBALL PROMOTION NIGHTS: There will be one more promotion night this year when the Titans hand out free rally buff to all those in attendance (while supplies last) at the November 16 match in Titan Gym against rival Long Beach State. The match is slated for a 7:30 p.m. first serve.
A LOOK AT THE OPPONENTS IN THE WEEK AHEAD:
• UCI leads the conference leader in aces with a 1.51 average.
• Senior middleblocker Shannon Fleming claimed the second spot in the UCI career records in block assists and now has 342 over her four-year career. She combined for 17 kills and five block assists in the two matches last week.
LONG BEACH STATE
• Long Beach State beat UC Davis in four sets with Delainey Aigner-Swesey collecting a team-high 17 kills. The 49ers fell in five sets to the 23rd ranked Matadors.
• Senior Delainey Aigner-Swesey eclipsed 300 kills for the first time in her four years at the Beach. The senior posted 10 kills in the first set against the Aggies and finished the match with 17, giving her 301 for the season and 864 for her career. Her average of 3.39 kills per set ranks third in the Big West.
BIG WEST CONFERENCE TIDBIT
• This week, two teams from the Big West appear among the AVCA top 25: No. 12 Hawai'i and No. 21 Cal State Northridge.
• Snapping a six-match losing streak, the Titans got an outstanding effort from sophomore Holland Crenshaw who hit .588 in an error-free 17 swings (10 kills). The Titans posted a remarkable .327 attack average as a team against the Highlanders.
• The Titans are in the midst of a three-match homestand, hosting area rivals, UC Irvine and Long Beach State after hosting Riverside last Saturday.
• A rematch of the contest with Long Beach State shapes up to be a good one, as the meeting at the Pyramid on Oct. 18 was another of the Titans five-set nailbiters.
• Fullerton's 18.07 digs per sets ranks them first in the Big West and the team now ranks fifth in kills per set with a 12.94 average. McKenna Painton scoops up 4.59 attack attempts every set to lead the Big West and rank in the top 80 in the country.
• McKenna Painton recorded her eighth 20-plus dig match of the season last Saturday against UC Davis. She leads the Big West by nearly a half a dig per set at 4.59 and has the second-most total digs in the league (317). Bre Moreland (3.48 dps) and Alyse Hensley (3.28 dps) are 8th and 9th in the league behind Painton and have the 9th and 10th most total digs in the league, respectively.
• With 895 assists in 2013, junior setter Julie Consani has passed Jenna Carney (2003-06) for sixth on the Titan career Top 10. Next up for Consani is No. 5 Melissa Blackler (1995-97) at 2,360. Consani currently leads the Big West, dishing 10.91 assists per set (39th in the NCAA).
• Sophomore Holland Crenshaw is the only Titan represented in the Big West's Top 10 in hitting percentage (6th). The 6-foot-3 middle blocker / right-side hitter has posted a .312 average thus far, and after her performance last week. She's miscued just 47 times (still). UC Davis' Victoria Lee is leading the league with a .406 attack percentage.
Senior Alyse Hensley has maintained her No. 4 status in the Big West in kills per set. She is averaging 3.17 blasts per set.
• Titan senior Bre Moreland is 6 kills away from entering the Cal State Fullerton career Top 10 in the category. With 6 more, she will be tied with former Titan middle Alex Wolnisty with 917 total kills. Her 17th will knock Wolnisty from the list. After that, Moreland will chase Heather Bassett's 935 kills from 1995-96, and Sarah Morrison's 954 kills from 2001-2005.
AWARD SEASON: Senior transfer Alyse Hensley followed up an all-tournament performance at the UNLV Invitational with an MVP effort at the Fullerton Classic. Hensley was named MVP of the tournament after averaging 3.14 kills per set and attacking at a rate of .337. She added a team-leading eight service aces along with 34 digs and nine blocks while totaling back-to-back double-doubles. McKenna Painton was also named to the all-tournament team after averaging 4.31 digs per set and five aces.
At Texas Tech, Bre Moreland was named to the Lone Star Showdown all-tournament team after averaging 3.22 kills and 4.78 digs per set. In addition Paige Reed earned all-tournament honors in Lubbock, Texas, after averaging 4.67 digs per set in the tourney.
CAROLYN ZIMMERMAN: Entering her 12th season at Cal State Fullerton, Carolyn Zimmerman possesses an all-time record of 171-181 (.486). The sixth head coach in Fullerton's 37-year history, she is the winningest (.486) head coach in CSF volleyball program history.