April 28, 2011
INDIAN WELLS, CA - The eighth-seeded Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team advanced to the next round of the 2011 Big West Conference Tournament on Thursday, posting a 4-2 win over No. 9 UC Riverside at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
The Titans improved to 7-16 overall and will meet top-seeded Long Beach State on Friday (April 29) at 9 a.m. The Highlanders ended their season at 6-14 overall. The seven wins for Fullerton are the most since 2005 when the Titans finished 7-14.
Fullerton jumped out to the early lead by claiming the doubles point as the duos of Tiffany Mai and Monica Rodriguez at the No. 1 spot and Karina Akhmedova and Malorie dela Cruz at No. 3 posted identical 8-6 wins for the, 1-0, Titans lead.
UC Riverside evened the score with a win at No. 4 singles by Angelique Corpuz, but two straight wins by Fullerton's freshman tandem of Megan Sandford at No. 5 (6-2, 6-4) and Morgan McIntosh at No. 2 (7-6, 6-0) put the Titans just one point away.
Jamie Raney brought UCR back to within a point with a straight set win at the No. 3 spot, but dela Cruz clinched the victory with a 7-6 (2), 6-2, win at the No. 6 spot over Kate Bergeson.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS - 2011 BIG WEST TOURNAMENT
Cal State Fullerton (4) vs. UC Riverside (2)
1. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) def. J. Raney/T. Raney (UCR), 8-6
2. McKay/Sakhakorn (UCR) def. McIntosh/Sandford (CSF), 8-2
3. Akhmedova/dela Cruz (CSF) def. Bergeson/Corpuz (UCR), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Tiffany Mai (CSF) vs. Taylor Raney (UCR), DNF
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Nadia Sakhakorn (UCR), 7-6 (1), 6-0
3. Jamie Raney (UCR) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF), 6-3, 6-4
4. Natalie McKay (UCR) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF), 6-2, 6-1
5. Megan Sandford (CSF) def. Angelique Corpuz (UCR), 6-2, 6-4
6. Malorie dela Cruz (CSF) def. Kate Bergeson (UCR), 7-6 (2), 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2, 3, 6