April 13, 2011
FULLERTON, CA - Visiting Idaho won four of the six singles matches on Wednesday afternoon, including a pair of three-set marathons, to rally back from a doubles point loss and defeat Cal State Fullerton, 4-3, at the Titan Courts.
Taking to the court for the first time since March 26, the Titans fell to 5-16 overall while the Vandals improved to 13-5 with the win, claiming victory for the fourth time in their last five matches.
A pair of wins in doubles play at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots put Fullerton ahead early as the duos of Tiffany Mai and Monica Rodriguez and Malorie dela Cruz and Karina Akhmedova took home wins of 8-5 and 8-4, respectively.
Freshman Morgan McIntosh and sophomore Monica Rodriguez were victorious in singles play with a pair of three-set wins, but the Titans were unable to get the victory that put them over the top as Idaho rallied.
The Vandals posted straight-set wins at the No. 1 and No. 6 spots while rallying from first-set losses to take home three-set singles wins at the No. 4 and No. 5 spots to clinch the 4-3 victory.
Fullerton closes out its regular season on April 19 with its Big West Conference finale against UC Riverside at 2 p.m. at the Titan Courts.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton (3) vs. Idaho (4)
1. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) def. Lozano/Simpson (UI), 8-5
2. Knox/Ly (UI) def. McIntosh/Sandford (CSF), 8-5
3. dela Cruz/Akhmedova (CSF) def. Kirch/Maciocha (UI), 8-4
1. Victoria Lozano (UI) def. Tiffany Mai (CSF), 6-2, 6-3
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Lauren Simpson (UI), 6-0, 6-7, 6-2
3. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) def. Silvia Irimescu (UI), 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Barbara Maciocha (UI) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF), 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
5. Molly Knox (UI) def. Megan Sandford (CSF), 6-7, 6-1, 7-6
6. Yvette Ly (UI) def. Malorie dela Cruz (CSF), 6-4, 6-3