April 11, 2007
FULLERTON, CA - After a break of nearly three weeks, the Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team won its first Big West Conference match of the year, defeating UC Riverside, 4-3, on Wednesday afternoon at the Titan Courts.
The Titans have now won three straight matches and improved to 4-15 overall with the win, also clinching their first conference win of the year.
UCR fell to 7-8 overall, 0-5 in the Big West.
The doubles point proved crucial on Wednesday as the two squads split their six singles matches on the day.
The duo of seniors Gina Le and Mai-Ly Tran won at No. 1 doubles by the score of 8-3 over Erynne Oki and Donna McCullough while Fullerton's Shelly Injejikian and Cheyenne Inglis defeated Eri Yoshimoto and Roxanne Plata, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles.
That meant the Titans needed only a split in singles to earn the win as Le, Inglis, and Katrina Domela all posted straight-set wins to clinch the match.
Cal State Fullerton returns to action on Tuesday (April 17) at 2 p.m. as the Titans host Cal State Bakersfield at the Titan Courts.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton (4) vs. UC Riverside (3)
1. Gina Le (CSF) def. Erynne Oki (UCR); 7-6, 6-0
2. Donna McCullough (UCR) def. Mai-Ly Tran (CSF); 7-6, 6-4
3. Katrina Domela (CSF) def. Yasaman Sakhakorn (UCR); 6-0, 6-1
4. Catrisha Cabanilla (UCR) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF); 6-0, 6-4
5. Roxanne Plata (UCR) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF); 5-7, 6-3, (10-6)
6. Cheyenne Inglis (CSF) def. Anne Marie Simonsen (UCR); 6-4, 6-3
1. Le/Tran (CSF) def. Oki/McCullough (UCR); 8-3
2. Injejikian/Inglis (CSF) def. Yoshimoto/Plata (UCR); 8-3
3. Cabanilla/Simonsen (UCR) def. Domela/Cruz (CSF); 7-6