April 10, 2009
FULLERTON, CA - After losing two out of three doubles matches, the University at Albany bounced back with five singles victories to beat the Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team 5-3 in the final match of the season on Titan Courts, Friday.
Brittany Andrews won her second straight singles match, while the No. 1 doubles team of Shelly Injejikian and Cheyenne Inglis, and the No. 3 doubles team of Karina Akhmedova and Brandy Andrews won their matches. The Titans (3-19, 0-8) had to do without their No. 1 player Leslie Bullock due to an ankle injury she'd been dealing with for a few days.
The Titans started out strong with wins in the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles spots. Injejikian and Inglis defeated Susan Ma and Laine Mackey 8-1 in the No. 1 position. In the No. 3 position Akhmedova and Brandy Andrews dominated Kim Weltman and Aubrey Brooks 8-1. Jaycee Cruz teamed up with Lani Agsalud in the No. 2 position due to the loss of Bullock to injury.
Andrews scored the only singles victory for the Titans with a straight sets 6-2, 6-1 win over Holly Smith.
Two Titans pushed their matches to three sets, but in the end couldn't finish off their opponents. In the No. 3 position Akhmedova lost her match to Charlotte Tatler 3-6, 6-2, 6-4. In the No. 5 position Cruz went down 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 to Mackey.
Because of the injury to Bullock CSF head coach Bill Reynolds had to bump everyone up one spot and had them playing out of their normal positions.
The Titans close out their 2009 season when they head to Indian Wells, CA to play in the Big West Conference Tournament on April 16.
In the first round of the tournament they will take on UC Riverside. In their first meeting on April 9, the Titans lost to the Highlanders 5-2. In that match Akhmedova and Andrews picked up singles victories while Bullock pushed her match to three sets.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton 2, University at Albany 5
1. Susan Ma (UA) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 6-3, 6-2
2. Kim Weltman (UA) def. Cheyenne Inlgis (CSF), 6-1, 6-3
3. Charlotte Tatler (UA) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF), 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Brandy Andrews (CSF) def. Holly Smith (UA), 6-2, 6-1
5. Laine Mackey (UA) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF), 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Caitlin Crowley (UA) def. Lani Agsalud (CSF), 6-0, 6-0
1. Injejikian/Inglis (CSF) def. Ma/Mackey (UA), 8-1
2. Tatler/Smith (UA) def. Cruz/Agsalud (CSF), 8-4
3. Akhmedova/Andrews (CSF) def. Weltman/Aubrey Brooks (UA), 8-1