CSF Women's Tennis Drops Last Conference Match
April 10, 2009
FULLERTON, CA - KarinaAkhmedova and Brandy Andrews won their singles matches, but UC Riverside was too much as a team in a 5-2 Big West Conference win over the Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team on Titan Courts, Thursday. The match between the Titans (3-18, 0-8) and the Highlanders was the final BWC match of the season for CSF.
The Titans close out their regular season schedule today when host the University of Albany on Titan Courts, Friday at 1:30 p.m.
The match started with the Highlanders winning doubles matches in the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. The No. 3 doubles team Leslie Bullock and Jerusha Cruz made sure it wasn't a sweep with an 8-3 win over Yasaman Sakhakorn and Nadi Sakhakorn.
In singles Karina Akhmedova won her match against Angelique Corpuz in a tiebreaker by the scores of 6-4, 4-6, (14-12).
Brandy Andrews also picked up a singles win against UCR. Andrews faced off against Roxanne Plata in the No. 5 position. It only took two set for Andrews to dispatch Plata 6-4, 7-6.
In the No. 6 position, Cruz put up a fight in the first set of her match with Y. Sakhakorn losing 7-5, 6-0.
CSF finishes off its regular season schedule on Titan Courts, Friday against Albany at 1:30 p.m. After that match the Titans will start preparing for the Big West Conference Tournament that will be held at Indian Wells, CA, on April 16-19. Check back for a preview of the Big West Conference Tournament.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton 2, UC Riverside 5
1. Erynne Oki (UCR) def. Leslie Bullock (CSF), 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
2. Donna McCullough (UCR) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 6-4, 6-0
3. Nadi Sakhakorn (UCR) def. Cheyenne Inlgis (CSF), 6-1, 6-1
4. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) def. Angelique Corpuz (UCR), 6-4, 4-6, (14-12)
5. Brandy Andrews (CSF) def. Roxanne Plata (UCR), 6-4, 7-6
6. Yasaman Sakhakorn (UCR) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF), 7-5, 6-0
1. Oki/Plata (UCR) def. Injejikian/Inglis (CSF), 8-3
2. McCullough/Corpuz (UCR) def. Akhmedova/Andrews (CSF), 8-2
3. Bullock/Cruz (CSF) def. Y. Sakhakorn/N. Sakhakorn (UCR), 8-3