Singles Play Lifts UC Davis to Women's Tennis Win Over Fullerton
April 7, 2006
FULLERTON, CA - Visiting UC Davis bounced back from an early deficit, taking four of the six singles matches on the afternoon to hand host Cal State Fullerton a 4-3 women's tennis defeat on Friday afternoon at the Titan Tennis Courts.
It was the second straight 4-3 loss for the Titans, who fell to 5-15 overall on the season.
Fullerton jumped out early on UC Davis, taking two of three in doubles play for a 1-0 match lead. The duos of Ruya Inalpulat and Gina Le along with Mai-Ly Tran and Cheyenne Inglis each posted 8-6 wins at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles, respectively.
However, the Aggies rallied back in singles play, as Ally Muller and Nancy Mok won a pair of hard-fought three-set matches at the No. 1 and No. 5 positions after each dropped the first set.
Le and Tran were singles winners for Fullerton as Le defeated UC Davis' Robin Guier, 7-5, 4-6, 6-3, and Tran defeated Jenna Kappel in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4.
Cal State Fullerton closes out the regular season on Thursday (April 13) as the Titans head to UC Riverside for a 2 p.m. contest.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis 4, Cal State Fullerton 3
1. Inalpulat/Le (CSF) def. Guier/Muller (UCD), 8-6
2. Kappel/Mok (UCD) def. Dunbar/Injejikian (CSF), 8-3
3. Inglis/Tran (CSF) def. Emma Shapiro/Wingo (UCD), 8-6
1. Ally Muller (UCD) def. Ruya Inalpulat (CSF), 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Gina Le (CSF) def. Robin Guier (UCD), 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
3. Mai-Ly Tran (CSF) def. Jenna Kappel (UCD), 7-5, 6-4
4. Audrey Wingo (UCD) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 2-1, ret.
5. Nancy Mok (UCD) def. Cheyenne Inglis (CSF), 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
6. Yuka Otaka (UCD) def. Chip Dunbar (CSF), 6-3, 6-1