Women's Tennis Wins Second Straight, 6-1, Over Concordia
March 22, 2007
FULLERTON, CA - The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team claimed its second conecutive win on Thursday afternoon, handing visiting Concordia University a 6-1 defeat at the Titan Courts in Fullerton, Calif.
The victory improved Fullerton's record to 3-15 overall on the year after edging Amherst College on Tuesday to end the week a perfect 2-0.
A good start in doubles play gave the Titans the early 1-0 lead as seniors Gina Le and Mai-Ly Tran won at No. 1 doubles and the team of Katrina Domela and Jerusha Cruz claimed an 8-2 victory at the No. 3 spot.
Fullerton then dominated singles play, winning at each of the top five singles positions - four of those in straight sets.
Cal State Fullerton takes the next three weeks off to prepare for its Big West Conference finale on April 11 as the Titans host UC Riverside at 2 p.m.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton 6, Concordia University 1
DOUBLES (must win 2 of 3 matches for one team point)
1. Le/Tran (CSF) def. Moses/Varela (CU); 8-1
2. Rice/Esquivel (CU) def. Andrews/Injejikian (CSF); 8-5
3. Domela/Cruz (CSF) def. Haley/Paulson (CU); 8-2
SINGLES (each match worth one team point)
1. Gina Le (CSF) def. Laura Moses (CU); 6-0, 6-4
2. Mai-Ly Tran (CSF) def. Michelle Esquivel (CU); 6-7, 6-3, (10-6)
3. Katrina Domela (CSF) def. Jessica Rice (CU); 6-4, 6-0
4. Shelly Injejikian (CSF) def. Amanda Varela (CU); 6-4, 6-1
5. Jerusha Cruz (CSF) def. Meghan Ehlers (CU); 7-5, 6-1
6. Emily Paulson (CU) def. Brandy Andrews (CSF); 6-2, 6-3