Women's Tennis Falls at No. 46 Cal Poly, 6-1
March 12, 2011
FULLERTON, CA - Cal State Fullerton sophomore Tiffany Mai claimed the Titans' lone point with her win at No. 1 singles, but it wasn't enough to lift Fullerton past No. 46 Cal Poly as the Mustangs handed the Titans a, 6-1, Big West Conference loss in San Luis Obispo.
Fullerton fell to 3-11 overall, 0-5 in league play, while Cal Poly improved to 10-3 overall, 4-0 in conference play.
Mai posted a hard-fought, straight-set victory over the Mustangs' Florence Lehane, 7-5, 7-6, to win for the fifth time in her last eight singles matches.
However, it would be the only win for the Titans on the day as the host Mustangs dropped only two sets in the match, sweeping the three doubles matches for the 1-0 lead and winning the remaining five singles contests in straight sets, including a pair of, 6-0, 6-0, shutouts at the No. 5 and No. 6 positions.
Fullerton concludes its trip down the Central Coast on Sunday (March 13) at 1 p.m. as the Titans take on UC Santa Barbara.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton (1) at UC Santa Barbara (6)
1. Lehane/Spicin (CP) def. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF), 8-3
2. Pane/Davis (CP) def. Sandford/McIntosh (CSF), 8-2
3. Gatewood/Cornea (CP) def. Akhmedova/Nichols (CSF), 8-3
1. Tiffany Mai (CSF) def. Florence Lehane (CP), 7-5, 7-6
2. Margarita Spicin (CP) def. Morgan McIntosh (CSF), 6-0, 6-2
3. Ashley Pane (CP) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF), 6-2, 6-1
4. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF), 6-2, 6-1
5. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Megan Sandford (CSF), 6-0, 6-0
6. Amy Markhoff (CP) def. Katie Nichols (CSF), 6-0, 6-0