Texas State Hands Women's Tennis a 6-1 Loss
March 11, 2008
FULLERTON, CA - Cal State Fullerton freshman Karina Akhmedova posted a singles victory at the No. 3 spot and Brandy Andrews teamed with Breanna Stowell to post a win in doubles play, but the Titans were unable to hold off Texas State as the Bobcats defeated Fullerton, 6-1, on Tuesday afternoon at the Titan Courts.
Akhemdova scored the Titans' (2-10) lone point of the night, leading Texas State's Ashley Ellis one set to none before Ellis retired from the match with a two-games-to-none lead in the second set.
Andrews and Stowell were the only other Fullerton players to post a win on the day as the duo defeated Alejandra Gulida and Sumarie Muller, 9-8, at the No. 3 spot.
The Bobcats won four of their five singles matches in straight sets with Andrews forcing a tiebreaker at the No. 5 spot with Jennifer Nowland before falling, 7-5, 3-6 (11-9).
Fullerton returns to action on Thursday (March 13) at 2 p.m. as the Titans host Big West foe UC Irvine at the Titan Courts.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Texas State (6) at Cal State Fullerton (1)
1. Andrea Giraldo (TSU) def. Erin Wiesener (CSF), 6-2, 6-1
2. Rabea Hartman (TSU) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 7-6, 6-4
3. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) def. Ashley Ellis (TSU), 7-5, 0-2, ret.
4. Alejandra Gulida (TSU) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF), 6-0, 6-0
5. Jennifer Nowland (TSU) def. Brandy Andrews (CSF), 7-5, 3-6 (11-9)
6. Mackenzie Farmer (TSU) def. Breanna Stowell (CSF), 6-4, 6-1
1. Giraldo/Hartman (TSU) def. Akhmedova/Injejikian (CSF), 9-7
2. Lainy Chaftiz/Ellis (TSU) def. Cruz/Wiesener (CSF), 8-5
3. Gulida/Sumarie Muller (TSU) def. Andrews/Stowell (CSF), 9-8