Feb. 22, 2007
IRVINE, CA - Host UC Irvine swept all nine matches on the day to lift the No. 43-ranked Anteaters to a 7-0 victory over visiting Cal State Fullerton in a Big West Conference women's tennis match on Thursday afternoon in Irvine, Calif.
The loss dropped the Titans to 1-10 overall this season an 0-5 in Big West play. UCI improved to 8-2 and remained unbeaten in league play at 3-0.
The Anteaters won all three doubles matches to jump out to a quick 1-0 lead. Fullerton's duo of Cheyenne Inglis and Shelly Injejikian came the closest to avoiding the sweep as they fell to UC Irvine's Jessica Broadfoot and Heidi Kaloi, 8-6.
UCI then went on to dominate singles play as the Anteaters won all six matches in straight sets with Broadfoot claiming the team victory with a 6-2, 6-0, victory over Injejikian at the No. 4 position.
Cal State Fullerton returns to action on Sunday afternoon (Feb. 25) at 11 a.m. as the Titans host Pacific.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
No. 43 UC Irvine 7, Cal State Fullerton 0
1. (\#75) Becky Bernhard (UCI) def. Gina Le (CSF), 6-2, 6-4
2. Inna Agababian (UCI) def. Mai-Ly Tran (CSF), 6-2, 6-3
3. Clare Fermin (UCI) def. Katrina Domela (CSF), 6-3, 6-2
4. Jessica Broadfoot (UCI) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 6-2, 6-0
5. Ali Borowicz (UCI) def. Brandy Andrews (CSF), 6-2, 6-0
6. Jayme Hu (UCI) def. Cheyenne Inglis (CSF), 6-1, 6-0
DOUBLES (must win two of three for one point)
1. Bernhard/Fermin (UCI) def. Le/Tran (CSF), 8-0
2. Broadfoot/Heidi Kaloi (UCI) def. Inglis/Injejikian (CSF), 8-6
3. Hu/Borowicz (UCI) def. Domela/Jerusha Cruz (CSF), 8-2