Feb. 19, 2009
FULLERTON, CA - The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team got strong play from Kathleen Doran, but it wasn't enough to overcome the great play by Hawai'i in a 6-1 non-conference loss on Titan Courts Thursday.
Doran picked up her first career win at Cal State Fullerton in the No. 6 position over Doria Lagnay of Hawai'i. Doran dispatched Lagnay with ease, posting a straight sets victory, 6-1, 6-0.
In doubles Cheyenne Inglis returned to the court for the Titans to team up with her old partner Shelly Injejikian, but the two couldn't find their old magic against the team of Melinda Wong and Anja-Vanessa Peter in an 8-2 loss.
Karina Akhmedova and Leslie Bullock teamed up for the first time in the No. 3 position. The duo almost pulled off a win in their inaugural match together, but came up a little short in a heartbreaking 7-6 tiebreaker loss.
In singles Jerusha Cruz gave the Warriors Aglae Van den Bergh all she could handle in their first set. The second set wasn't quite as close, and Cruz lost the match 7-5, 6-2.
Injejikian played well in her 6-3, 6-3 loss to Peter, while Andrews made a run in her second set against Alyssa Nafarrete.
The Titans host the Long Beach 49ers in a Big West Conference match Saturday, Feb. 21 at 10 a.m. on Titan Courts.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton 1, University of Hawai'i 6
1. Sophie Kobuch (UH) def. Leslie Bullock (CSF), 6-1, 6-0
2. Anja-Vanessa Peter (UH) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 6-3, 6-3
3. Melinda Wong (UH) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF), 6-0, 6-2
4. Aglae Van den Bergh (UH) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF), 7-5, 6-2
5. Alyssa Nafarrete (UH) def. Brandy Andrews (CSF), 6-0, 6-4
6. Kathleen Doran (CSF) def. Doria Lagnay (UH), 6-1, 6-0
1. Peter/Wong (UH) def. Cheyenne Inglis/Injejikian (CSF), 8-2
2. Kobuch/Van den Bergh (UH) def. Andrews/Cruz (CSF), 8-2
3. Doria Lagnay/Nafarrete (UH) def. Akhmedova/Bullock (CSF), 7-6 (7-2)