Feb. 12, 2011
FULLERTON, CA - The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team claimed its first victory of the 2011 season Saturday afternoon as the Titans swept past Chapman University, 7-0, at the Titan Courts on campus.
Fullerton snapped a six-match slide to start the year as the Titans moved to 1-6 overall on the season. The Panthers, ranked No. 13 in the ITA Division III preseason poll, remained winless on the season, falling to 0-3.
A sweep of the three doubles matches on the day put Cal State Fullerton out front early as none of the three teams lost more than four games. The No. 3 doubles tandem of Karina Akhmedova and Malorie dela Cruz posted the most impressive victory of the day, defeating Chapman's Candace Scholler and Cassady Sirois, 8-1.
In singles play, the Titans won five of the six singles matches in straight sets, including a 6-0, 6-1, win by freshman Morgan McIntosh at the No. 2 spot and a pair of 6-1, 6-1, victories by Akhmedova and Megan Sandford at No. 4 and No. 5 singles, respectively.
At the No. 1 spot, sophomore Tiffany Mai was taken to a tiebreaker after splitting her first two sets with the Panthers' Elizabeth Lewis (the No. 3-ranked singles player in the preseason ITA Division III West Region rankings), 6-3, 4-6, eventually pulling out a 10-8 win in the tie-break.
Cal State Fullerton returns to the home courts on Thursday (Feb. 17) at 2 p.m. as the Titans host Cal State Bakersfield.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton (7) vs. Chapman University (0)
1. Tiffany Mai/Monica Rodriguez (CSF) def. Melissa Boyer/Elizabeth Lewis (CU), 8-4
2. Morgan McIntosh/Megan Sandford (CSF) def. Danielle Kaiden/Kelley Klebenow (CU), 8-3
3. Karina Akhmedova/Malorie dela Cruz (CSF) def. Candace Scholler/Cassady Sirois (CU), 8-1
1. Tiffany Mai (CSF) def. Elizabeth Lewis (CU), 6-3, 4-6, (10-8)
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Danielle Kaiden (CU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Malorie dela Cruz (CSF) def. Candace Scholler (CU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) def. Kelley Klebenow (CU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Megan Sandford (CSF) def. Melissa Boyer (CU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) def. Genna Ford (CU), 6-4, 7-6