Feb. 4, 2011
FULLERTON, CA - The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team's run through the gauntlet of ranked opposition to start the 2011 season continued on Friday afternoon as the Titans fell in their Big West Conference opener, 7-0, to No. 42 Long Beach State at the Titan Courts.
Fullerton (0-4 overall, 0-1 in Big West play) has also suffered losses to No. 67 San Diego, No. 57 San Diego State, and No. 43 Pepperdine. The 49ers won their first match of the season, improving to 1-1 overall and 1-0 in league play.
Long Beach State swept all nine matches on the afternoon, beginning the day with wins in all three doubles matches for the 1-0 lead overall. The 49ers then swept the six singles contests in straight sets, losing no more than three games in any set.
The Titans get a break from ranked opposition on Saturday morning (Feb. 5) at 11 a.m. as they host Hawaii on campus. The Wahine are 2-2 overall this season, posting a pair of victories over San Francisco while falling to Duke and BYU - all at home.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton (0) vs. No. 42 Long Beach State (7)
1. Armstrong/Dallara (LBSU) def. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF), 8-3
2. Alawi/Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. McIntosh/Sandford (CSF), 8-4
3. Cantlay/Luzar (LBSU) def. Akhmedova/dela Cruz (CSF), 8-1
1. Anais Dallara (LBSU) def. Tiffany Mai (CSF), 6-1, 6-2
2. Jaklin Alawi (LBSU) def. Morgan McIntosh (CSF), 6-1, 6-1
3. Deborah Armstrong (LBSU) def. Malorie dela Cruz (CSF), 6-3, 6-1
4. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. Megan Sandford (CSF), 6-0, 6-1
5. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF), 6-2, 6-1
6. Rachel Manasse (LBSU) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF), 6-0, 6-1