Jan. 27, 2011
FULLERTON, CA - The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team suffered its third consecutive loss against ranked competition, falling to No. 43 Pepperdine, 7-0, on Thursday afternoon in Malibu, CA.
Sophomore Tiffany Mai was the only Titan player to extend her match to three sets on the day, battling back from a 6-0 loss in the first set to the Waves' Marie Zalameda and returning the favor with a 6-0 shutout of her own in set two. Zalameda, however, recovered for a 6-1 win in the third and final set to claim the point.
Pepperdine swept all three doubles matches to take the early 1-0 lead before winning the remaining five singles matches in straight sets, although, sophomore Monica Rodriguez pushed the Waves' Megan Moore to a second set tie breaker before falling, 6-1, 7-6 (7-2).
The Titans' season continues on Friday (Feb. 4) as they open Big West Conference play and their 2011 home schedule against their fourth consecutive ranked opponent in No. 42 Long Beach State at 1:30 p.m. on the Titan Courts.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton (0) at No. 43 Pepperdine (7)
1. Arianna Colffer/Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Tiffany Mai/Monica Rodriguez (CSF) 8-3
2. Anamika Bhargava/Megan Moore (PEP) def. Morgan McIntosh/Megan Sandford (CSF) 8-5
3. Andrea Oates/Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Malorie dela Cruz/Karina Akhmedova (CSF) 8-2
1. Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Tiffany Mai (CSF) 6-0, 0-6, 6-1
2. Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) 6-4, 6-3
3. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) def. Malorie dela Cruz (CSF) 6-0, 6-2
4. Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Megan Sandford (CSF) 6-2, 6-3
5. Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) 6-0, 6-2
6. Megan Moore (PEP) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)