FULLERTON, Calif. – Cal State Fullerton women's tennis enters the 2018 Big West Women's Tennis Championship as the No. 3 seed, and will play sixth-seed CSUN at 11 a.m., Friday, in quarterfinal action at Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, Calif.
The Matadors and Titans have met for the third consecutive year in Quarterfinal action. In 2016, the No. 3 Titans suffered a 4-3 loss to the No. 6 Matadors in the quarterfinal. In 2017, the Titans rallied for a 4-3 win over CSUN to advance to the program's first-ever Semifinal match.
CSUN's overall record is 7-11 (3-5 Big West). Fullerton first saw CSUN in their conference opener (2/16) where the Titans swept the Matadors 4-0.
UC Santa Barbara enters the championship as the No. 1 seed after only dropping one conference match going 7-1 in conference.
With a win on Friday, in the quarterfinal, Fullerton would advance to play the winner of No. 2 UC Davis vs. No. 7 Cal Poly at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday in the semifinal.
BIG WEST CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORY
The Titans' No. 3 seed at the Big West Championship ties program highest. Previously, Cal State Fullerton was the No. 3 seed in 2016.
- Fullerton holds an overall record of 18-39 dating back to 1989 at the Big West Championships.
- In quarterfinal action, the Titans hold a record of 1-16, advancing to the semifinal for the first time in 2017.
- The Titans and Matadors have played each other three times at the Big West Tennis Championship, with CSUN (9) defeating Fullerton (8), 5-2, in the first round in 2004, and the No. 6 Matadors scoring the 4-3 upset win over the No. 3 Titans in 2016. 2017 is the year Fullerton came back with a 4-3 win to advance to the semifinal.
- The Titans' best finish at the Big West Championship was in 2017. Fullerton ended its season in the semifinals with a 4-1 loss to regular-season champion Hawai'i.
- Dating back to 1989 when the Big West Tournament was seeded, the lowest seed to win the championship was No. 7 Pacific in 2000.
- Long Beach State has won the tournament on 12 occasions dating back to its first title in 2002 entering as the No. 2 seed. The 49ers have won the championship seven times as the No. 1 seed. Current conference members UC Irvine (1), Cal Poly (1) and UC Santa Barbara (8) are the only additional programs to have won the tournament.
-Indian Wells Tennis Garden is hosting the Big West Men's and Women's Tennis Championship for the 15th consecutive year.
FULLERTON BY THE NUMBERS
- This year, the Titans finished the regular season 18-5 (6-2 Big West).
- Fullerton went on an eight-match win streak that lasted nearly a month before it was snapped by San Diego State (3/23).
- Genevieve Zeidan and Karla Portalatin each rode an impressive 12-match win streak on their respective courts.
- Fullerton claimed the doubles point on 15 separate occasions throughout the season.
|Thursday, April 26 - First Round||Time (PST)|
|#8 UC Irvine vs. #9 UC Riverside||9:00 a.m.|
|Friday, April 27- Quarterfinals|
|#1 UC Santa Barbara vs. Winner #8/9||9:00 a.m.|
|#4 Hawai'i vs. #5 Long Beach State||9:00 a.m.|
|#3 Cal State Fullerton vs. #6 CSUN||11:00 a.m|
|#2 UC Davis vs. #7 Cal Poly||11:00 a.m.|
|Saturday, April 18- Semifinals|
|No. 1/8/9 Winner vs. No. 4/5 Winner||9:30 a.m.|
|No. 2/7 Seed vs. No. 3/6 Seed||9:30 a.m.|
|Sunday, April 29- Championship Match||9:30 a.m.|
Admission is free to all matches.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (@FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the women's tennis team has established its own official Twitter page (@CSUFTennis), Facebook Page (@CSFWomensTennis), Instagram (@CSUFTennis) and Snapchat (CSUFTennis).