The ITA womens national ranking has ruled that NMSU did violate a rule in the March 28 match against Cal State Fullerton. As a result of this ruling, the team match will be considered a 4-3 win for Cal-State Fullerton.
FULLERTON, Calif. – The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team dropped a close 4-3 decision to New Mexico State on Friday afternoon in a non-conference match at the Titan Tennis Courts.
The Titans (5-12) suffered their second consecutive loss and will look to rebound tomorrow versus conference foe Cal State Northridge.
In doubles play, Morgan McIntosh and Camille De Leon improved to 7-9 with an 8-4 victory as the top seeded doubles over Susana Alcaraz. Kalika Slevcove and Melanie Abella also won in the doubles draw as the No. 3 doubles (8-7, 14-12).
McIntosh also picked up an impressive singles win over Marie Pier-Thiffault in two sets, 6-2, 6-0, while Jessica Pepa won in three sets 4-6, 6-3, 3-1 over Ros-Polly Nguyen. Freshman Alexis Valenzuela did not compete in a singles match today and still holds a 12-game match winning streak.
The Titans close out their five-game homestand with an important Big West Conference contest versus Cal State Northridge tomorrow March 29 at noon at the Titan Tennis Courts.
Tennis Match Results
New Mexico State vs Cal State Fullerton
Mar 28, 2014 at Fullerton, Calif. (Titan Tennis Courts)
New Mexico State 4, Cal State Fullerton 3
1. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Thiffault,Marie-Pier (NMSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Shrivastava,Ashvarya (NMSU) def. Camille De Leon (CSF) 6-4, 6-4
3. Alcaraz,Susana (NMSU) def. Kalika Slevcoe (CSF) 6-3, 6-3
4. Witte,Annemieke (NMSU) def. Megan Sanford (CSF) 6-1, 6-4
5. Jessica Pepa (CSF) def. Nguyen,Ros-Polly (NMSU) 4-6, 6-3, 3-1
6. Ben,Denise Van Der (NMSU) def. Rebekkah Ermac (CSF) 6-4, 6-0
1. Morgan McIntosh/Camille De Leon (CSF) def. Joyce,Gabrielle/Alcaraz,Susana (NMSU) 8-4
2. Witte,Annemieke/Shrivastava,Ashvarya (NMSU) def. Megan Sanford/Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) 8-6
3. Kalika Slevcoe/Melanie Abella (CSF) def. Nguyen,Ros-Polly/Thiffault,Marie-Pier (NMSU) 8-7 (14-12)
New Mexico State 6-11, 0-0
Cal State Fullerton 5-12, 0-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,5,4,3,6,2)