Titans Edge Amherst to Extend Winning Streak
FULLERTON, Calif. – The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team won its second straight match this week, edging visiting Amherst, 4-3, at the Titan Tennis Courts on Tuesday afternoon.
Fullerton (5-10) started the match by claiming the doubles point, which proved to be the difference. The team of Megan Sandford and Alexis Valenzuela, playing together for just the second time this spring, won their second straight with an 8-2 score over Jen Newman and Zoe Pangalos at No. 2 doubles.
In singles action, Fullerton's Alexis Valenzuela (12-3) won her 11th straight match with a two-set 6-3, 7-5, win over Brewer at the top of the lineup. The freshman from West Covina, Calif., is the first Titan to win 12 singles matches since Gina Le (12-11) in 2004.
Morgan McIntosh (7-8) contributed a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Devlin at No. 2 singles as the senior from Rancho Mirage, Calif., claimed her second straight win.
Fullerton's third singles win that clinched the match for the Titans was junior Jessica Pepa at No. 6. The Chula Vista, Calif., native improved to 7-7 on the season and won her second straight with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Monteagudo.
Fullerton plays one more home match this week, hosting Wyoming at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday at the Titan Tennis Courts.
Amherst vs. Cal State Fullerton
March 18, 2014 at Fullerton, Calif.
(Titan Tennis Courts)
Cal State Fullerton 4, Amherst 3
1. Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Jordan Brewer (AM) 6-3, 7-5
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Gabby Devlin (AM) 6-0, 6-1
3. Jen Newman (AM) def. Camille De Leon (CSF) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Sue Ghosh (AM) def. Megan Sandford (CSF) 6-2, 6-3
5. Zoe Pangalos (AM) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSF) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Jessica Pepa (CSF) def. Sarah Monteagudo (AM) 7-5, 6-3
1. Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (AM) def. Camille De Leon/Morgan McIntosh (CSF) 8-2
2. Megan Sandford/Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Jen Newman/Zoe Pangalos (AM) 8-2
3. Melanie Abella/Kalika Slevcove (CSF) def. Safi Aly/Sarah Monteagudo (AM) 8-2
Cal State Fullerton 5-10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,5,1,6,3)