Doubles Point Eludes Fullerton in Loss
FULLERTON, Calif. – The loss of the doubles point proved to be the difference in the Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team's 4-3 loss to Georgetown on Saturday afternoon at the Titan Tennis Courts.
The Titans (3-8) suffered their fourth loss of the year by dropping the doubles point while splitting singles play.
On Saturday against the Hoyas, Fullerton's No. 2 doubles team of Kalika Slevcove and Alexis Valenzuela defeated Kelly Comolli and Madeline Jaeger, 8-4. The pair is now 8-3 on the year. but Fullerton dropped doubles matches at No. 1 and No. 3 to lose the point.
In singles play, Valenzuela extended her winning streak to seven matches after producing a 6-0, 6-2 win over Victoire Saperstein at the top position.
Morgan McIntosh (5-6) won her second straight match at No. 2 in the lineup, recording a three-set 6-1, 1-6, 6-4 win over Comolli.
Junior Megan Sandford, competing at the No. 5 position, defeated Sophie Panarese in three sets, 3-6, 6-3, 6-0.
Fullerton freshman Camille De Leon's five-match winning streak was snapped with a 6-1, 6-1 loss to Jaeger at the No. 3 position.
The Titans travel to San Diego nest week, playing a neutral match with Furman on Tuesday, followed by a match at San Diego on Wednesday.
Georgetown vs. Cal State Fullerton
March 08, 2014 at Fullerton, Calif.
(Titan Tennis Courts)
Georgetown 4, Cal State Fullerton 3
1. Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Victoire Saperstein (GU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Kelly Comolli (GU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
3. Madeline Jaeger (GU) def. Camille De Leon (CSF) 6-1, 6-1
4. Sophia Barnard (GU) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSF) 6-0, 1-6, 6-4
5. Megan Sandford (CSF) def. Sophie Panarese (GU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
6. Liselot Koenen (GU) def. Rebekkah Ermac (CSF) 6-4, 6-4
1. Liselot Koenen/Victoire Saperstein (GU) def. Camille De Leon/Morgan McIntosh (CSF) 8-4
2. Kalika Slevcove/Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Kelly Comolli/Madeline Jaeger (GU) 8-4
3. Sophia Barnard/Sophie Panarese (GU) def. Melanie Abella/Megan Sandford (CSF) 8-4
Cal State Fullerton 3-8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,3,6,4,5,2)