FULLERTON, Calif. – The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team scored its second sweep of the year, defeating 17th-ranked UC San Diego (Division II), 7-0, on Wednesday afternoon at the Titan Tennis Courts.
Fullerton (3-7) first won the doubles point as the team of Camille De Leon and Morgan McIntosh defeated UCSD's (6-5) Paula Chou and Kyra Scott, 8-3, at the top of the of the lineup. The pair of De Leon and McIntosh won its third straight match and improved to 5-5 on the year.
Securing the doubles point for the Titans at the No. 2 doubles position was the team of Kalika Slevcove and Alexis Valenzuela. The pair defeated Nava Nowamooz and Shannon Theisen, 8-2, to improve its overall record to 7-3 this season.
In singles play, Valenzuela extended her wining streak to six matches, including her fourth straight at the top of the lineup, defeating Scott, 6-4, 6-2. The freshman from West Covina, Calif., improved to 7-3 this season.
At the No. 2 spot, McInotsh recorded a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Chou, and the native of Rancho Mirage, Calif., holds a record of 4-6 record for the Titans this year.
Another rookie, De Leon, recorded her fifth consecutive win with a two-set, 6-4, 6-0 victory over Nowamooz at No. 3 in the lineup. The native of La Mirada, Calif., leads the Titans with a singles dual record of 8-2.
Competing at the No. 4 spot, Slevcove edged Tara Vanooteghem, 7-5, 7-6.
Junior Jessica Pepa extended her winning streak to three matches with a 6-4, 6-0 over Theisen at No. 5 in the lineup.
Junior Megan Sandford competed in her first dual singles competition of the year, and she recorded a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Lisa Asai at No. 6.
Junior Melanie Abella saw her first action of the spring, teaming with Sandford at No. 3 doubles. The pair lost to Vanooteghem and Laura Wilke, 8-4.
Fullerton returns to action at 11 a.m. on Saturday hosting Cal Poly at the Titan Tennis Courts.
Tennis Match Results
UC San Diego vs Cal State Fullerton
Feb 26, 2014
Cal State Fullerton 7, UC San Diego 0
1. Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Kyra Scott (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) 6-1, 6-2
3. Camille De Leon (CSF) def. Nava Nowamooz (UCSD) 6-4, 6-0
4. Kalika Slevcove (CSF) def. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) 7-5, 7-6
5. Jessica Pepa (CSF) def. Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 6-4, 6-0
6. Megan Sandford (CSF) def. Lisa Asai (UCSD) 6-1, 6-2
1. Camille De Leon/Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Paula Chou/Kyra Scott (UCSD) 8-3
2. Kalika Slevcove/Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Nava Nowamooz/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-2
3. Tara Vanooteghem/Laura Wilke (UCSD) def. Melanie Abella/Megan Sandford (CSF) 8-4
UC San Diego 6-5
Cal State Fullerton 3-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,3,2,1,5,4)