FULLERTON, Calif. – The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team dropped a close 4-3 decision to UC Santa Barbara on Sunday afternoon at the Titan Tennis Courts.
Once again, the doubles point proved to be the difference as the Titans (2-7, 0-4 Big West) and Gauchos (2-7, 1-1 Big West) split singles play.
Fullerton's No.1 doubles team of Camille De Leon and Morgan McIntosh earned an 8-6 win over Priscila Garcia and April Scatliffe, but that was the only Fullerton tandem that could record a victory as the Titans dropped the point.
In singles action, freshman Alexis Valenzuela (6-3) won her fifth straight – including her third consecutive at the No. 1 spot – recording a three-set 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 win over Scatliffe.
De Leon (7-2), another rookie, won her fourth straight match at No. 3 in the lineup with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Paola Cos.
Junior Jessica Pepa improved to 4-5 on the year and won her second straight with a 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) victory over Melissa Baker at the No. 6 position.
The Titans will host UC San Diego in their fourth straight home match on Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. at the Titan Tennis Courts.
UC Santa Barbara vs. Cal State Fullerton
Feb 23, 2014 at Fullerton, Calif.
(Titan Tennis Courts)
UC Santa Barbara 4, Cal State Fullerton 3
1. Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
2. Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB) def. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) 4-6, 7-6, 6-3
3. Camille De Leon (CSF) def. Paola Cos (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
4. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSF) 6-2, 6-3
5. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Rebekkah Ermac (CSF) 6-1, 6-0
6. Jessica Pepa (CSF) def. Melissa Baker (UCSB) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
1. Camille De Leon/Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Priscila Garcia/April Scatliffe (UCSB) 8-6
2. Kaiulani Boyer/Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB) def. Kalika Slevcove/Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) 8-4
3. Melissa Baker/Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Rebekkah Ermac/Megan Sandford (CSF) 8-3
UC Santa Barbara 2-7, 1-1
Cal State Fullerton 2-7, 0-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,4,3,2,6,1)