Winning Streak Continues for Titan Tennis
FULLERTON, Calif. – Cal State Fullerton's 6-1 victory over New Mexico State on Friday afternoon at the Titan Tennis Courts, propelled CSF's winning streak to five consecutive matches.
The Titans have not won five straight matches since the 2007 season. With the loss, the Lobos fall to 1-3.
Fullerton improved 6-4 overall on Friday, with five players in the lineup winning singles matches, led by senior Tiffany Mai. At the top of the lineup, the native of Westminster, Calif., quickly defeated Jodie Williams of New Mexico State 6-0, 6-0.
Her victory was followed by three more as the top four players in the Titan lineup each recorded wins.
Junior Morgan McIntosh won her third match in a row with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Denise Van Der Ben. Monica Rodriguez defeated Ginet Pinero, 6-2, 6-0, for her second win of 2013, and Emilia Borkowski finished off Annemieke Witte 6-2, 6-4 to improve to 7-3 this year.
At the No. 6 spot, Megan Sandford won her fifth straight match, defeating Lisa Roslanova, 6-0, 6-4.
In doubles play, the team of Kalika Slevcove and McIntosh defeated Pinero and Witte, 8-3, while Borkowksi and Sandford teamed to knock off Mia Brandy and Ros-Polly Nguyen, 8-5.
The Titans return to action on Saturday, hosting Nevada at 10 a.m. on Saturday.
1. Tiffany Mai (CSF) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU), 7-5, 6-1
3. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) def. Ginet Pinero (NMSU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Emilia Borkowski (CSF) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSF), 6-4, 6-3
6. Megan Sanford (CSF) def. Lisa Roslanova (NMSU), 6-0, 6-4
1. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) vs. Van Der Ben/Williams (NMSU), Unfinished
2. McIntosh/Slevcove (CSF) def. Pinero/Witte (NMSU), 8-3
3. Borkowski/Sandford (CSF) def. Brandt/Nguyen (NMSU), 8-5
Cal State Fullerton (6-4, 2-1)
New Mexico State (1-3)