FULLERTON, Calif. – The Titans won their fourth consecutive match with a 5-2 victory over UC San Diego on Thursday afternoon at Titan Tennis Courts.
With the win, the Titans improve to 5-4 overall, while the Tritons, currently ranked 32nd in the Division II Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings, fall to 4-2.
The Titans claimed the doubles point, and clinched victories in four individual matches. Tiffany Mai won her second dual match of the season at the top of the lineup, defeating UCSD's Melissa Breisacher, 6-1, 6-2.
Playing at No. 3 in the lineup, freshman Emilia Borkowski dispatched Paula Chou, 6-2, 6-2, improving her singles record to 6-3 in 2013.
Redshirt sophomore Megan Sandford won her fourth consecutive match after knocking off Melinda Chu 6-4, 7-5.
At the bottom of the order and playing in just her second dual match of the year, Rebekkah Ermac defeated Jacquelyn Davis 6-7, 6-4, (10-8).
In doubles play, the team of Mai and Monica Rodriguez edged Breisacher and Kyra Scott, 8-6, at the No. 1 spot. Borkowski and Sanford, playing at No. 3, won their third match of 2013, defeating the team of Chu and Tara Vanooteghem, 8-6, at the No. 3 spot.
Cal State Fullerton returns to action on Friday, hosting New Mexico State at Titan Tennis Courts. The match start time has been now been moved to 1:30 p.m., after originally scheduled at 2 p.m.
1. Tiffany Mai (CSF) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD), 6-1, 6-2
2. Kyra Scott (UCSD) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF), 6-2, 6-1
3. Emilia Borkowski (CSF) def. Paula Chou (UCSD), 6-2, 6-2
4. Megan Sandford (CSF) def. Melinda Chu (UCSD), 6-4, 7-5
5. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) def. Malorie de la Cruz (CSF), 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
6. Rebekkah Ermac (CSF) def. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD), 6-7, 6-4, (10-8)
1. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) def. Breisacher/Scott (CSF), 8-6
2. Chou/Davis (UCSD) def. de la Cruz/Tomaiko (CSF), 8-4
3. Borkowski/Sandford (CSF) def. Chu/Vanooteghem (UCSD), 8-6
Cal State Fullerton (5-4, 2-1)
UC San Diego (4-2)