Cougars Recover to Edge Titans, 2-1

Cougars Recover to Edge Titans, 2-1

Sept. 2, 2011

Box Score

PROVO, UT - BYU's Jennie Marshall broke a 1-1 tie with her second goal of the year in the 66th minute and goalkeeper McKinzie Olson made nine saves to turn away several Fullerton scoring threats as the host Cougars shook off an early own goal to edge the Titans, 2-1, in front of 4,265 fans on Friday night at the Stadium at South Field in Provo, UT.

"I am very proud of our women and the way we played tonight," Head Coach Demian Brown said following the match. "We played a great game in a tough environment against a very good team. We played well enough to win and, if not for the tremendous play of their goalkeeper, I believe we would have."

The defeat was the second consecutive 2-1 decision against a West Coast Conference squad to go against Fullerton (1-2-1 overall) as BYU (3-1-1) rallied midway through the second half for the game-winner despite being outshot by the Titans, 14-13, including an 11-9 advantage in shots on goal.

Colette Jepson started the sequence by hitting Auna Doria with a long ball down the left side. Doria settled, turned in, and flicked a pass across the top of the box to Marshall, whose sliding shot with a defender on her back deflected off the right post and a diving Titan keeper Lindsey Maricic before skidding into the net.

The score completed a comeback from a one-goal deficit after the Cougars' Cami Jensen kicked the ball into her own net in the 19th minute. Erica Mazeau's pass to the right was intercepted by Jensen but, instead of turning it upfield, the BYU defender one-timed it into the left corner out of the reach of her own goalkeeper, giving the Titans the 1-0 lead.

Fullerton's advantage was short-lived, however, as BYU responded with the equalizer seven minutes later as Doria took a pass from Carlee Payne down the left side, turned the corner, and unleashed a shot from a difficult angle that continued to float and twist into the far post side netting to tie the game in the 26th minute. The goal was her second of the season.

BYU almost broke the tie with 17 minutes to play in the first as Jepson broke in and had her shot saved by Maricic, but Dana Oldroyd's follow skipped through Maricic's legs only to be saved off the line by Fullerton's Kellie Bohner to preserve the tie. Olson then had a pair of plays at the other end of the field with 10 minutes to go as she finger-tipped a shot from just outside the 18 by Ann Marie Tangorra just over the crossbar and then made a point-blank stop on Stacey Fox's flick off the ensuing corner kick.

The score remained that way through halftime before the Titans came out firing again in the second half. Fox had another turned away by Olson six minutes in after BYU couldn't clear a Fullerton corner and Tangorra, who finished with a team-high four shots, had another sail just wide eight minutes later.

Then, with 18 minutes to play, Fullerton continued to put pressure on thanks to its set pieces as Janali West's corner was almost knocked in off a rebound by Nikki McCants, but Jepson cleared it off the line to preserve the lead, and Jennifer Smith almost had the equalizer with 1:13 remaining in the match as her one-timer from the left side was just tipped over the bar by Olson again, securing the win.

Maricic finished with a season-high six saves - just two off her career high - while Caitlin Mellano, McCants, and Jennifer Smith each had two shots.

Cal State Fullerton's Utah road swing concludes on Sunday (Sept. 4) at 12 p.m. PT as the Titans travel to Logan, UT, for a match-up against former Big West Conference rival Utah State.


For questions or to purchase your ticket(s):

BUY TICKETS ONLINE |(657) 278-2783|