FULLERTON, Calif. – Cal State Fullerton women's soccer heads to UC Santa Barbara on Friday for a 7 p.m. PT match against the Gauchos. The squad then returns home to host Cal Poly at 2 p.m. on ESPN3.
• Senior Nano Oronoz and freshman Kristen Swales are both in the top 10 for the Big West Conference in goals scored on the year. Oronoz has five goals on the year (three vs. SMC, one vs. Fresno State, one vs. UCR) and Swales has four (two vs. SMC on 8/19, at GCU on 9/16 and at CSUN on 10/7).
• Atlanta Primus is tied for sixth in the league in assists with three on the year and in the top 10 in goals with four. She opened her scoring account against Fresno State (Sep. 2) and scored the game-winning goal at SJSU (Sep. 6) from the penalty spot.
• Kaya Hawkinson is also tied for sixth in assists as she has three as well. The freshman midfielder has been solid all year for the Titans and has been quite successful taking corner kicks as all three of her assists have been off corners. CSF is third in the league in corner kicks won per game at 5.47. Hawkinson has been a staple in the midfield, starting every game and logging the most minutes of any player on the squad.
• The Titans are fourth in the league in goals per game at 1.20.
CATCH ALL THE ACTION
Friday's match will be available at BigWest.TV while Sunday's is being broadcast live on ESPN3.
OPPONENT AND HISTORY
Oct. 19, 2018 at UC Santa Barbara | Meredith Field at Harder Stadium | 7:00 p.m. PT
The home team has won each of the last three matchups between the Titans and the Gauchos but Fullerton hopes to buck that trend on Friday night. The top four teams in the league qualify for the Big West Tournament and UCSB is tied for fourth heading into Friday's match.
Shaelan Murison leads the Big West in points on the year with nine goals (tops in the league) and four assists to tally 22 points.
Fullerton won the most recent match between the two squads on Oct. 22, 2017 at Titan Stadium. CSF earned a 1-0 victory and also leads the all-time series 15-11-1.
Oct. 21, 2018 vs. Cal Poly | Titan Stadium | 2:00 p.m. PT
The Titans and Mustangs matchup on Sunday afternoon with a live ESPN3 broadcast.
Sydney Knauer leads the team in points with six on the year as she has three goals.
Cal Poly won the last matchup between the two squads on Oct. 19, 2017 by a score of 2-0 in San Luis Obispo. The Mustangs also lead the all-time series at 10-14-5.
SENIOR SPOTLIGHT - THE FEW, THE PROUD
After having nine seniors on the squad last year, all of which contributed to the 2017 Big West Tournament title, this year's squad has just four seniors.
• A jack-of-all-trades for the Titans and preseason All-Big West honoree Nano Oronoz has played 73 matches for the Titans and started 51 of them. She bagged a hat trick against St. Mary's on Aug. 19, becoming the first Titan to achieve that feat since 2015. She also scored the game-winning goal against Fresno State (Sep. 2) and supplied an assist. Oronoz scored against UCR (Sep. 30) and now has eight goals and six assists for her career.
• Defender Amanda Larsson has taken the field 59 times for Fullerton, including 36 career starts. On the season, she has logged 1,132 minutes of 1,396 total minutes.
• Midfielder Alba Barrios has played 51 career games in a Titan uniform, including 14 last year with 11 starts. She has scored two goals for her career, both coming as a freshman. She is still recovering from an injury and is redshirting the season.
• Midfielder Jessica Simonian is redshirting the 2018 season due to injury so she will be back for the 2019 season. She has started 54 games in her time at Fullerton with 43 starts. She has tallied two goals and seven assists over the last three years.
WELCOME TO ATLANTA
Junior forward Atlanta Primus, a London, England native, is tied for fourth in the conference in assists through seven matches after she dished out two against St. Mary's (Aug. 19) and one on against Fresno State (Sep. 2). Primus' three assists have all been to Nano Oronoz and Oronoz returned the favor for Primus as she also scored her first goal against Fresno State (Sep. 2). Primus also scored the game-winning goal at San Jose State (Sep. 6) from the penalty spot. She has scored 10 goals and dished out now 11 assists in her career. She is three assists away from being tied for 10th all-time in career assists. The preseason All-Big West honoree led the 2017 team with 20 points (six goals, eight assists).
SANDERS FILLS VOID
Head coach Demian Brown had a hole to fill in the goal left by (now undergrad assistant coach) Morgan Bertsch who was a 2017 first-team all-conference honoree and 2017 Co-Big West Goalkeeper of the Year. In stepped sophomore Tianna Sanders who had an outstanding opening weekend. She recorded 11 saves against BYU on Aug. 17 and was a brick wall for the Titans. Sanders recorded her first two career clean sheet against Fresno State (Sep. 2) and San Jose State (Sep. 6). She ranks sixth in the Big West in total saves at 52.
INSTANT IMPACT LINDAHL
Sophomore Delaney Dombek Lindhal, a Southern California native that attended Mission Viejo High School, spent her first year of college at Iowa. But she transferred to Fullerton over the summer and has been a stalwart in Demian Brown's lineup as she has played in all 15 matches and started 13 of them. Thus far she has played the third-most minutes of all field players at 1,204 of 1,396 total minutes. Lindahl recorded an assist for the Titans against San Jose State (Sep. 6).
COACH HITS TRIPLE DIGITS
With the win against CSUN on Oct. 1, 2017, head coach Demian Brown notched his 100th-career win. Over his 11 years as head coach, Brown has steered the Titans to four Big West regular season championships (2007, 2012, 2014, 2015) and five Big West Tournament championships (2007, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017) representing the league as the Big West's automatic qualifier at the NCAA Tournament for four of the last six years (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017) in addition to the Titans' postseason trip in 2007.
NEXT IN LINE
The 2017 Titans featured seniors such as Samantha Koemans (five goals, five assists) Kaycee Hoover (five goals, two assists), Tala Haddad (three goals, three assists), Maribell Morales (three goals, one assist), Connie Caliz (two goals, one assist), all of which played at least 20 of the 22 games for the Titans and over 1,000 minutes. The 2018 squad will have to step into new roles and replace their productivity but Brown feels the team is capable and excited for the challenge.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at email@example.com. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS!
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titan Athletics by following us on Facebook (Facebook/FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the women's soccer team has established its own Facebook (Facebook/Cal-State-Fullerton-Womens-Soccer), Twitter (@FullertonWSOC) and Instagram accounts (@FullertonWSOC).