FULLERTON, Calif. – Cal State Fullerton women's soccer is heading to the Pacific Northwest to face the Washington Huskies on Friday at 5 p.m. PT with a live broadcast on the Pac-12 Network. The team then squares off against the 1-1 Seattle University Redhawks on Sunday at 2 p.m.
• Senior Nano Oronoz and freshman Kristen Swales sit No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, atop the Big West Conference in goals scored on the year. Oronoz bagged a hat trick and Swales pumped in two goals of her own against St. Mary's.
• The Titans are third in the league in shots per game at 13.50 and second in goals per game at 2.50.
• Entering the first road matches of the season, Fullerton finished the 2017 season with a road record of 3-5-2.
• In 2017, Cal State Fullerton qualified for the Big West Conference Tournament for the sixth year in a row, a conference record.
OPPONENT AND HISTORY
Aug. 24, 2018 at Washington | Husky Soccer Stadium | 5:00 p.m. PT
In the first road match of the season, Fullerton plays at Washington. A team that has won three of the last four home openers. The 2018 freshman class was ranked fifth in the country but they also return five goal-scorers from the 2017 squad.
In their regular season debut last week, the Huskies jumped out to a first-half lead at then-No. 7 Florida but two late second-half goals by the Gators flipped the game, with UW taking the loss.
The last time the Titans and Huskies met was in Titan Stadium in 2009 with the match ending in a 1-1 draw. The all-time series is tied at 1-1-2.
Aug. 26, 2018 at Seattle U | Championship Field | 2:00 p.m. PT
The Redhawks opened the season at then-No. 21 Washington State Univeristy and suffered a 3-1 loss but turned around and won 3-0 at home against Eastern Washington. Jessie Ray scored two goals and assisted on another to lead the Redhawks.
Sunday's matchup will be the first all-time between the two programs.
SENIOR SPOTLIGHT - THE FEW, THE PROUD
After having nine seniors on the squad last year, all of which contributed to the 2017 Big West Tournament title, this year's squad has just four seniors.
• Former defender, now attacker and preseason All-Big West honoree Nano Oronoz has played 59 matches for the Titans and started 37 of them. She bagged a hat trick against St. Mary's on Aug. 19, becoming the first Titan to achieve that feat since 2015. She has six goals and five assists for her career.
• Defender Amanda Larsson has taken the field 47 times for Fullerton, including 25 career starts. Through two matches this season, she has logged the most minutes among all players on the team at 187, she has yet to be subbed out.
• Midfielder Alba Barrios has played 51 career games in a Titan uniform, including 14 last year with 11 starts. She has scored two goals for her career, both coming as a freshman.
• Midfielder Jessica Simonian is redshirting the 2018 season so she will be back for the 2019 season. She has started 54 games in her time at Fullerton with 43 starts. She has tallied two goals and seven assists over the last three years.
WELCOME TO ATLANTA
Junior forward Atlanta Primus, a London, England native, is tied for second in the Conference in assists through two matches after she dished out two against St. Mary's on Aug. 19. Primus set up Nano Oronoz on two of her three goals against the Gaels with two sublime passes. She has scored seven goals and dished out now 10 assists in her career. She is four assists away from being tied for 10th all-time in career assists. The preseason All-Big West honoree led the team in 2017 with 20 points (six goals, eight assists).
SANDERS FILLS VOID
Head coach Demian Brown had a hole to fill in the goal left by (now undergrad assistant coach) Morgan Bertsch who was a 2017 first-team all-conference honoree and 2017 Co-Big West Goalkeeper of the Year. In stepped sophomore Tianna Sanders who had an outstanding opening weekend. She recorded 11 saves against BYU on Aug. 17 and was a brick wall for the Titans. The only goal she allowed in that match was a penalty kick in extra time.
COACH HITS TRIPLE DIGITS
With the win against CSUN on Oct. 1, 2017, head coach Demian Brown notched his 100th-career win. Over his 11 years as head coach, Brown has steered the Titans to four Big West regular season championships (2007, 2012, 2014, 2015) and five Big West Tournament championships (2007, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017) representing the league as the Big West's automatic qualifier at the NCAA Tournament for four of the last six years (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017) in addition to the Titans' postseason trip in 2007.
Sophomore Samantha McKenna is the team's No. 10 in jersey number and positionally as she plays as an attacking midfielder. She hails from Lakeside and is primed to build on a strong freshman campaign. McKenna was named to the 2017 Big West All-Freshman team as she recorded three goals and three assists.
NEXT IN LINE
The 2017 Titans featured seniors such as Samantha Koemans (five goals, five assists) Kaycee Hoover (five goals, two assists), Tala Haddad (three goals, three assists), Maribell Morales (three goals, one assist), Connie Caliz (two goals, one assist), all of which played at least 20 of the 22 games for the Titans and over 1,000 minutes. The 2018 squad will have to step into new roles and replace their productivity but Brown feels the team is capable and excited for the challenge.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS!
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titan Athletics by following us on Facebook (Facebook/FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the women's soccer team has established its own Facebook (Facebook/Cal-State-Fullerton-Womens-Soccer), Twitter (@CSUF_WSoccer) and Instagram accounts (@csufwomensoccer).