Titans Record Third-Straight Shutout in 2-0 Victory

2013 Rebecca Wilson
2013 Rebecca Wilson

FULLERTON, Calif. -- Erica Mazeau and Rebecca Wilson each scored second-half goals and the Cal State Fullerton defense held visiting Montana to just four shots on the afternoon, helping lift the host Titans to a third-consecutive shutout with a 2-0 victory over the Grizzlies in front of 218 fans on a hot and humid Sunday at Titan Stadium.

Now unbeaten in its last three (2-0-1) following a season-opening loss at No. 6 BYU, Fullerton improved to 2-1-1 overall on the season while outshooting Montana, 25-4, on the day. The Grizzlies, who fell, 2-1, at LMU on Friday afternoon, fell to 0-2-2 overall on the season.

"I'm very happy for the women and the way they played today," Head Coach Demian Brown said. "They showed a lot of maturity in today's match and, if we can use our second-half performance as a template for our success, things will continue to get better for us as the season moves on."

After being held to just two goals in their first three matches, the Titans doubled their offensive output for the season in a span of just five minutes on Sunday afternoon. Mazeau got things started in the 65th minute, finding herself open on the left wing and accepting a pass from teammate Janali West. Mazeau immediately moved in and fired a rocket past Montana goalkeeper Kendra McMillen to the right side netting for the 1-0 lead.

The match stayed that way until the 71st minute when Wilson, who shared match-high honors with five shots on the day with teammate Kishi Smith, finally broke through for her first goal of the season. West was again the catalyst, starting off the play on the right with a short pass into the box to a marked Christina Burkenroad, who spun and found Wilson at the top of the six. The junior did not miss from there, burying a shot from eight yards out to the left post and a 2-0 lead.

That was more than enough support for redshirt freshman goalkeeper Jennifer Stuart, who was forced to make just two stops in her first career Division I start -- the last coming in the 85th minute after a turnover gave the Grizzlies possession. Tyler Adair gained control and sent a rocket to the left post that Stuart dove to smother and preserve the shutout.

McMillen was busy in net for Montana, stopping eight shots on the day, six of those coming in the first half.

Five different Titans finished with multiple shots on the day while 12 different players took at least one for Fullerton, which posted its highest shot total for a match since putting up 33 shots at UC Riverside in a 1-1 draw on Oct. 23, 2011. Mackenzie Akins and Adair each finished with a pair of shots for Montana.

Cal State Fullerton returns to the pitch for its second road contest of the season on Friday (Sept. 6) at Texas Tech in a 5 p.m. kickoff from Lubbock, Texas.


For questions or to purchase your ticket(s):

BUY TICKETS ONLINE |(657) 278-2783|