Feb. 21, 2010
FULLERTON, CA - Cal State Fullerton junior Alaina Baker won individual all-around honors and also finished first on two events to help lift the Titans to a season-high score and a 192.975-192.700 victory over visiting UC Davis on Sunday afternoon at Titan Gym.
Fullerton topped the 190-point plateau for the third consecutive meet and posted its highest score since last season's Western Athletic Conference Championships when the Titans finished with an identical 192.975 score.
Baker scored a 38.925 to outdistance UC Davis' Kendall McCann, who finished second with a 38.575. The score was a season-high for Baker, who also won vault with a season-best 9.775 and floor with a 9.85, which tied her season-high.
The Titans also got a standout performance on bars by senior Britni Echeverria, who scored a career-high 9.825 to take home individual honors. Baker was tied for second in the event with a 9.80 while Taylor Kearns was fourth with a 9.725, helping Fullerton to a season-best 48.700 as a team.
Clinging to a fourth-tenths lead after three rotations, the Titans trailed by two tenths of a point entering Baker's floor routine, but the junior posted her event-winning 9.85 to clinch the victory. UC Davis, meanwhile, applied pressure to Fullerton's floor lineup, scoring a 48.525 on beam with three scores of 9.75 or better.
Kaitlin Reid finished second on vault to clinch a 1-2 Titan finish on the event, scoring a personal best 9.75. The Aggies swept beam led by McCann's event-winning 9.80 while Marcy Miller (9.775) and Katie Yamamura (9.75) finished second and third, respectively.
Vanessa Klass and Cami Casimere tied for third on floor with a 9.675 to finish behind Baker and McCann (9.80). Fullerton also posted season-high scores on beam (47.400) and floor (48.475) en route to the victory.
Cal State Fullerton returns to action on Friday night (Feb. 26) at 7 p.m. as the Titans host UCLA and Utah State at Titan Gym.
1. Cal State Fullerton - 192.975
2. UC Davis - 192.700
1. Alaina Baker (CSF) - 9.775
2. Kaitlin Reid (CSF) - 9.750
3. Michelle Hurlock (UCD) - 9.725
3. Michelle Bobonski (UCD) - 9.725
1. Britni Echeverria (CSF) - 9.825
2. Alaina Baker (CSF) - 9.80
2. Lida Gehlen (UCD) - 9.80
1. Kendall McCann (UCD) - 9.80
2. Marcy Miller (UCD) - 9.775
3. Katie Yamamura (UCD) - 9.75
1. Alaina Baker (CSF) - 9.85
2. Erika Van Dyke (UCD) - 9.80
3. Vanessa Klass (CSF) - 9.675
3. Cami Casimere (CSF) - 9.675
1. Alaina Baker (CSF) - 38.925
2. Kendall McCann (UCD) - 38.575
3. Marcy Miller (UCD) - 38.025
4. Katie Yamamura (UCD) - 37.525