FULLERTON, Calif. - Cal State Fullerton continues conference play this week, as it'll take on Long Beach State inside Titan Gym, Thursday at 7 pm PT before beginning a three-game road swing at UC Riverside, Saturday at 2 pm PT.
• Cal State Fullerton is coming off a 1-1 week to open up conference play beating Hawai'i 69-57 and losing to CSUN 70-68.
• The win over Hawai'i was Fullerton's first conference opening win since the 2014-15 season. It also snapped a 7-game losing skid against the Rainbow Wahine.
• The Titans have missed out on the Big West Conference Tournament the last two seasons.
OPPONENTS AND HISTORY
LONG BEACH STATE
7 p.m. PT | Thursday, Jan. 11 | Titan Gym
• 106th matchup against the 49ers
• All-time record: 35-70
• All-time record at home: 17-32
• CSF is on a seven-game losing streak against LBSU
• Last matchup: Long Beach won 84-55 at Long Beach
• 2-14 (0-2 BWC) this season
• Currently on a 7-game losing streak
• Averaging 58.9 points per game and allowing 70.9 ppg.
• Shooting 36.3% from the field and 25.3% from beyond the arc.
• Double-figure scorers: Shanaijah Davison (11.3 ppg)
• Davison ranks 14th in scoring in the Big West.
• Cecily Wilson ranks 6th with 6.6 rebounds per game. Wilson also ranks 2nd in steals with 2.6 per game.
• Emma Merriweather ranks 10th with 5.8 rebounds per game and fifth in blocks averaging 1.6 per game
• Ma'Qhi Berry ranks 10th in assists averaging 3.1 per game.
• 20-point games: Davison (3), Merriweather (2), Wilson (1), Berry (1)
• Double-doubles: Merriweather (2), Wilson (2)
2 p.m. PT | Saturday, Jan. 13 | SRC Arena
• 52nd matchup in program history
• All-time record: 32-22
• All-time record on the road: 10-13
• CSF has lost the last 4 matchups
• Last matchup: UCR won 75-63 in Titan Gym
• 4-12 (1-1 BWC) this season
• Coming off a 77-53 win over LBSU
• Averaging 64.1 points per game and allowing 74 ppg
• Shooting 39.4% from the field and 24.9% from beyond the arc.
• Double-figure scorers: Michelle Curry (15.0 ppg) and Lauren Holt (12.4 ppg)
• Curry ranks 4th in scoring, 5th in assists (3.8 apg) and 8th in steals (1.5 spg).
• Holt ranks 9th in scoring.
• Skyler Lewis is 4th in the BWC averaging 7.8 rebounds per game and 1.6 blocks per game.
• 20-point games: Curry (4), Holt (2), Lewis (1)
• Double-doubles: Lewis (3), Curry (2), Ewodo (2)
CONFERENCE PLAY IS HERE
With the New Year here, Big West play has started and the Titans opened up last week with a 69-57 win over Hawai'i. It was the first conference opening win for Fullerton since the 2014-15 season. Their second BWC game was a 70-68 loss against CSUN.
DEFENSE IS KEY
The Titans currently rank second in the Big West in fewest points allowed only allowing opponents 64.3 points per game. They have only given up 75+ points four times in thirteen games and have held their opponents to 60 points or less six different times.
CRASH THE BOARDS
Fullerton currently ranks first in the Big West in rebounds allowed as opponents average 34.7 rebounds per game. Overall, they have the second best rebounding margin in the conference at +0.8 boards per game.
THE HARADA ERA
Coach Jeff Harada and the squad have already accumulated six wins at the halfway point of the season. It's the most wins in a season since 2014-15 when the Titans won 13 games.
HANNAH FOR THREE
Junior Hannah Thompson tops the conference in three-pointers with 36 made three's and averaging 2.4 thee's per game. She currently ranks ninth in three-point percentage, shooting 39.6% from beyond the arc.
LEAD THE WAY
Junior Jade Vega leads the team in minutes played, points per game, and assists. Her 12.5 ppg ranks eighth in the conference, 3.7 assists per game ranks fifth, and 34.8 minutes per game ranks first.
Freshman Triann Thompson started the season coming off the bench, but has now become a crucial piece in the starting lineup. She's currently averaging 8.4 ppg and has scored double-figures in the last three games for the Titans. In the game against CSUN, she put up 15 points on a career-high 7 made field goals.
Freshman Carolyn Gill has also earned a spot in Harada's starting lineup and that is largely thanks to her defense. She currently ranks first on the team in steals and second on the team in blocks. Her 1.5 steals per game ranks eighth in the conference.
Just as she did last season, junior Daeja Smith has been a dominant force for the Titans this this season.Her 11.7 ppg is second on the team, 9.3 rpg leads the team, 49.6% field goal percentage ranks second, 1.7 blocks per game is first, and 31.1 minutes per game is second most. She also has seven double-doubles for the season.
TITANS IN THE BWC TOP 10
Scoring: Vega - 12.5 (8th), Smith - 11.7 (10th)
Rebounds: Smith - 9.3 rpg (3rd)
Assists: Vega - 3.7 apg (5th)
Steals: Gill - 1.5 spg (8th)
Blocks: Smith - 1.87 bpg (3rd)
Field Goal Percentage: Smith - 49.6% (7th)
Free Throw Percentage: Vega - 75.7% (9th)
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (@FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the women's basketball team has established its own official Twitter page (@WBBTitans) and Facebook Page (@WBBTitans).