FULLERTON, Calif. – Cal State Fullerton women's basketball opens up their conference schedule with a pair of home games this week against the Rainbow Wahine of Hawai'i on Thursday night and the Matadors of CSUN on Saturday night.
• Cal State Fullerton is coming off a double OT, 92-91, loss against UTEP.
• The team finished non-conference play 5-8 including a three-game win streak Dec. 16-23.
• Fullerton has lost their last two conference openers by double-figures.
• The Titans have missed out on the Big West Conference Tournament the last two seasons.
OPPONENT AND HISTORY
7 p.m. PT | Thursday, Jan. 4 | Titan Gym
• 37th matchup in program history
• All-time record: 15-21
• All-time record at home: 8-10
• CSF is on a seven-game losing streak against UH.
• Last matchup: Hawai'i won 55-45 at Titan Gym
• 7-6 this season
• Coming off a 67-57 win over Hawai'i Pacific after suffering back-to-back losses to Texas A&M and Oregon.
• Averaging 64.8 points per game and allowing 70.9 ppg.
• Shooting 41.7% from the field and 30.7% from beyond the arc.
• Double-figure scorers: Sarah Toeaina (13.9), Julissa Tago (10.8), and Lahni Salamoa (10.1)
• Toeaina ranks 6th in BWC in scoring. Tago ranks 14th.
• Makenna Woodfolk ranks 6th with 6.5 rebounds per game.
• Tia Kanoa ranks 2nd with 5.3 assists per game and 4th with 1.7 steals per game.
• 20-point games: Toeaina (3), Tago (2), Woodfolk (1)
• Double-doubles: Woodfolk (3)
6 p.m. PT | Saturday, Jan. 6 | Titan Gym
• 55th matchup in program history
• All-time record: 32-22
• All-time record at home: 14-10
• CSF has lost 17 of the last 18 matchups including 13 straight since 2011.
• Last matchup: CSUN won 71-54 at Titan Gym
• 7-7 this season
• Coming off a pair of wins over Biola and Seattle.
• Averaging 66.6 points per game and allowing 67.1 ppg
• Shooting 40.1% from the field and 26.6% from beyond the arc.
• Double-figure scorers: Channon Fluker (19.7), Serafina Maulupe (11.7), and Tessa Boagni (11.0)
• Fluker ranks 2nd in BWC in scoring, 1st in rebounding (11.4 rpg), 2nd in FG% (57.2%), and 1st in blocks (3 bpg).
• Boagni ranks 13th in scoring and 7th in rebounding (6.3 rpg)
• Meghann Henderson is 6th in assists with 3.5 apg.
• 20-point games: Fluker (8), Boagni (1), Maulupe (1), Claudia Ramos (1)
• Double-doubles: Fluker (8), Boagni (2)
The Titans finished 5-8 in their non-conference schedule with wins over Santa Clara, Portland, Antelope Valley, UTSA, and Utah Valley. The five wins already marks the most in a season since the 2014-15 season when the Titans won seven games. The consecutive wins over Antelope Valley, UTSA and Utah Valley was the first three-game winning streak since the 2014-15 season. They currently sit in sixth place in the conference standings.
DEFENSE IS KEY
The Titans currently rank second in the Big West in fewest points allowed only allowing opponents 64.5 points per game. They have only given up 75+ points four times in thirteen games and have held their opponents to 60 points or less five different times.
JUST KEEP PLAYING
The double overtime game against UTEP was just the third time in program history the Titans went into double OT. It was also the first time they played any overtime since Nov. 24, 2015 against Wyoming. The 92-91 loss put their all-time OT record at 10-20.
THOMPSON FOR THREE
Junior transfer Hannah Thompson currently ranks first in the Big West in three-point field goals this season. She's averaging 2.4 per game and has a total of 31 three's to lead all shooters. Her 37.8% also ranks 10th in the conference.
VEGA'S CAREER GAME
Junior Jade Vega had the game of her career in the loss against UTEP. Vega set or matched career-highs with 24 points, 7 made field goals, 4 made three's, and 7 rebounds in 49 minutes. She also dished out 5 assists and shot a perfect 6-6 from the free throw line.
Freshmen Triann Thompson and Carolyn Gill have been huge for the Titans this season. After coming off the bench to start the season, both girls have earned spots in the starting lineup the last several games. Thompson is averaging 7.5 ppg, 3.2 rpg, and 2.1 apg while Gill is averaging 4.8 ppg, 5.0 rpg, and 1.5 steals per game.
HENDERSON SETS CAREER-HIGH
Senior China Henderson has had her share of struggles this season, but that was not the case against UTEP. She scored a career-high 16 points on 7-11 shooting in 41 minutes. She also pulled down 4 rebounds and dished out 4 assists.
Just as she did last season, junior Daeja Smith has been a dominant force for the Titans this this season.Her 11.8 ppg is tied for first on the team, 9.8 rpg leads the team, 50.9% field goal percentage ranks second, 1.8 blocks per game is first, and 31.2 minutes per game is second most.
TITANS IN THE BWC TOP 10
Scoring: Smith, Vega, H. Thompson - 11.8 ppg (T-10th)
Rebounds: Smith - 9.8 rpg (2nd)
Assists: Vega - 3.8 apg (4th)
Steals: Gill - 1.5 spg (6th)
Blocks: Smith - 1.8 bpg (T-3rd)
Field Goal Percentage: Smith - 50.9% (7th)
Free Throw Percentage: Vega - 72.4% (10th)
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (@FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the women's basketball team has established its own official Twitter page (@WBBTitans) and Facebook Page (@WBBTitans).