FULLERTON, Calif. – Cal State Fullerton men's basketball squares off against Cal Lutheran on Saturday at 6 p.m. PT. Saturday's game at Titan Gym is also Homecoming for Cal State Fullerton.
FROM THE TIP
• The Titans take their two-game winning streak into Saturday's homecoming game against Cal Lutheran in the first official matchup between the two programs since 1964. CSF ends its five-game homestand on Saturday before hitting the road for six of its next eight games.
• The Titans lead the Big West Conference in multiple defensive categories, such as opponent field goal percentage (39.2%, No. 60 mark in the nation), opponent three-point field goal percentage (30.1%, No. 59 in the country) and points allowed per game (63.8).
• Sophomore forward Jackson Rowe leads the conference and is sixth in the nation in field goal percentage at 71.4 (25-35). Rowe is one of three Titans to average double figures in scoring at 13.4 per game. He leads the team in rebounding at 5.8 per game and is fourth in the league at 1.40 blocks per game.
• Junior guard Kyle Allman, Jr. is tops on the team in scoring at 15.0 on 42.6 percent shooting from the field. He's second on the team in assists at 1.3 per game (13 total) and tops on the squad in steals with seven. Allman is 31st in the country and No. 2 in the conference at 49 free throw attempts on the year. He's knocked down 34 of them at a 69.4% clip.
• Junior guard Khalil Ahmad is third on the squad in scoring at 11.0 points per game.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 2 vs. CAL LUTHERAN || 6 PM PT
Series Record: 0-1
Home Record: 0-0
Away Record: 0-0
Neutral Record: 0-1
Current Streak: Lost One
First Meeting: 12/04/64 vs. Cal Lutheran, L, 71-75
Last Meeting: 12/04/64 vs. Cal Lutheran, L, 71-75
CAL LUTHERAN NOTES
• The Kingsmen are 2-1 this season and led by junior Austin Cole who scores 27.7 points per game. Junior Kyle Ferreira is second on the team in scoring at 21.7 per game. Both of them average 40 minutes per game over their three official games this season. Pepperdine defeated CLU 107-82 in what was an exhibition for the Kingsmen.
• Cole is eighth in the nation among DIII competitors in scoring at 27.7 points per game.
SET THE TABLE
Sophomore guard Austen Awosika is second on the team in rebounding at 5.2 per game and leads the squad in assists at 3.3. He hauled in five rebounds and dished out more than five assists in each of the last two games. Awosika's role on the team has been to create for his teammates and he has done just that.
MOVE THE BALL
Taylor has emphasized ball movement to the team and it is still a work-in-progress as the team is seventh in assists per game in the conference at 11.3. It is still a small sample size, but through six games, the Titans average 15.3 assists in their three wins and only 7.3 in each of their losses.
CSF entered The Wooden Legacy ranked 351st in the nation in free-throw percentage at 49%. Against Georgia (Nov. 23), the team shot 20-28 and then shot 20-23 against Sacramento State on (Nov. 24) and 23-30 against Harvard (Nov. 26). Overall, CSF is up to 65.5% on the year. In a small sample size, the Titans have shot 74.2% in their three wins and 57.9 in their three losses on the year.
UPDATING THE RECORD BOOKS
Jackson Rowe and Kyle Allman, Jr. both had their names etched into the Cal State Fullerton record book after The Wooden Legacy over Thanksgiving weekend. Allman poured in a career-high 34 points against Georgia (Nov. 23), one of the best scoring performances in program history. Rowe tied a 37-year old school record for the best field goal percentage in a single game, as he shot 10-10 from the field against Harvard (11/26/17) for a career-high 25 points.
Taylor has a whiteboard at practice that faces the court and a student manager tracks turnovers and deflections for each individual. It is a point of emphasis for him and the team as he mentions it after every game. The Titans average 15.7 turnovers per game and are still looking to cut that number down.
PICK YOUR SPOTS
The Titans have tried to pick their spots better in transition and slow the game down in order to get better shots and try to cut down on the turnovers. Taylor is still looking for the team to push the ball when they can but after six games, the team averages 69.0 possessions per 40 minutes (KenPom) which is 249th in the country.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS!
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titan Athletics by following us on Facebook (Facebook/FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the basketball team has established its own Twitter (@FullertonHoops) and Instagram accounts (@FullertonHoops).