Former Titans Experiencing Success Overseas
FULLERTON, Calif. -- Former Cal State Fullerton guard, and the school's all-time leading scorer, Bobby Brown is enjoying an MVP season in Italy and is among a group of former Titans experiencing great success playing professionally overseas.
Brown (2004-07), who has spent time in the NBA with Sacramento, Minnesota, New Orleans, and the Los Angeles Clippers, is currently averaging 20.9 points per game and shooting just over 43 percent (78-for-181) from the field for Montepaschi Siena squad, including tying a Euroleague single-game scoring mark with 41 points to help his side rally for a victory over Fenerbahce Ulker on Jan. 4. He finished 13-of-13 from the line -- the seventh-highest total in a Euroleague game -- and finished 12-of-18 from the field in the 98-92 win, dishing out seven assists.
He has been named the league's player of the week three times this season, including back-to-back awards on Nov. 3 (34 points vs. Elan Chalon-sur-Saone) and Nov. 10 (27 points vs. Asseco Prokom Gdynia), and leads the league in points (272), points per game (20.9 ppg), free throws (56), and three-pointers (27), while standing among the top five in six other categories including assists (3rd, 57) and assist-to-turnover ratio (3rd, 2.5).
Elsewhere, former sharp-shooting guard Josh Akognon (2008-09) is lighting up the Chinese Basketball Association, averaging 30.9 ppg and shooting .528 from the floor for the Liaoning Jiebao Hunters, scoring at least 20 points in every game but one this season and reaching the 30-point plateau in 10 times.
In his season debut, he scored 46 points against the Jilin Northeast Tigers and added a season-high 49 points later in the year against the Zhejiang Chouzhou Bank squad in a 115-109 win on Dec. 19.
During the summer of 2012, Akognon also led the Sacramento Kings' summer league team in scoring at 19.3 ppg after professional stints in Estonia and China.
Frank Robinson, who played three seasons for the Titans from 2006-08 and averaging 15.8 ppg and 6.9 rpg in that span, is currently playing for Budivelnyk in the Ukraine Superleague after making stops in Poland, Israel, Germany, Georgia, and Poland. He averaged 7.4 ppg and 3.7 rpg this season in seven Euroleague games with Asseco Prokom in Poland before joining his new squad, where he is averaging 5.3 ppg and 3.8 rpg while shooting 44 percent from the floor in nine contests.
Robinson played in three preseason games with the Atlanta Hawks in the NBA and signed with the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA D-League, averaging 12.4 points and 4.1 rebounds per game in 38 contests. He also spent time with the Los Angeles Lakers' Summer League team in 2010.
Other Titans competing internationally include:
• Scott Cutley (2007-08), the Big West Conference Co-Player of the Year and an honorable mention All-America selection in 2008, is currently playing professionally in Argentina for Alianza Viedma. Statistics are unavailable at this time…
• Marcio Lassiter (2007-09) is currently playing professionally for the Petron Blaze Boosters in the Philippine Basketball Association…
• Pape Guisse (2009-10) is competing with El Bosque in Peru…
• Orane Chin (2010-12) has played nine games with the Bakken Bears in Denmark, averaging 17.3 points and 7.2 rebounds per game this season, shooting .595 from the field and .414 from three-point range…
• Omondi Amoke (2012) played professionally in Macedonia for KK Fersped-Rabotnicki, averaging 6.2 points and 4.9 rebounds in nine games before being released in December of 2012 and played previously in Greece for Panelefsiniakos…
• Sedric Martin (2011-12) is on the roster of SG MTV/BG 93 Wolfenbuettel in Germany, but statistics are unavailable.
If you know of any other professional Titans currently active around the world, please let us know by emailing Sports Media Director Jason Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org.