Nieves, Ortiz Take Top 2005 Team Honors
Dec. 20, 2005
Nieves was the top finisher for the Titan men in every meet during the season. He placed 20th at the Big West Championships and 69th at the NCAA West Region Championships. He placed 14th among Big West runners at the regional meet. His best time of the season was 24:46 at the Santa Clara Invitational.
Ortiz led the women's squad at both the conference and regional championship meets. Her 12th place finish at the Big West Championships was the best individual finish for CSF since Heather Garritson placed 8th in 1999. Her time of 21:50.3 at the conference meet established a new cross country school record for 6K. The previous record was 21:53 set by Maria Blazquez earlier in the season at the Sundodger Invitational.
In addition, Jon George & Maria Blazquez were honored as recipients of the Coach's Award, and Jason Graney & Carolyn Ellis were named Most Improved. The following athletes were letterwinners for the 2005 season:
Michelle Acosta (1st year)
Maria Blazquez (3rd year)
Kirsten Drake (1st year)
Mandy Eichmann (1st year)
Carolyn Ellis (1st year)
Melody Foelsch (1st year)
Toni Gamboa (1st year)
Jon George (1st year)
Jason Graney (2nd year)
Juliane Masciana (2nd year)
Damien Nieves (2nd year)
Karina Ortiz (1st year)
Lalu Patel (1st year)
Dahamar Perez (2nd year)
Eddie Perez (1st year)
Here are some of the highlights of the 2005 season:
- Women win team title at UCR Invitational.
- 4th place finish at Big West Championships best conference finish for women's team since 1994.
- Maria Blazquez named Big West Cross Country Athlete of the Week twice.
- Maria Blazquez breaks her own school record for 6K at Sundodger Invitational.
- Karina Ortiz's 12th place finish at Big West Champions best individual for the Lady Titans since 1999.
- All 7 men ran personal best times at the Sundodger Invitational.
- All 5 men at Santa Clara Invitational ran personal best times.
- Damien Nieves was top collegiate finisher at Santa Clara Invitational.