2017 Steve Scott Final Time Schedule (PDF)
Steve Scott Meet Program (PDF)
FULLERTON, Calif. --- The Cal State Fullerton outdoor track and field team has two meets on the schedule this weekend.
On Friday, the Titans begin action at the two-day Steve Scott Invitational at UC Irvine.
There will be over 1,100 entries and over 1,000 athletes competing this weekend (22 collegiate teams). Olympic Gold Medalist Allyson Felix is entered in the 100 meters, and 2016 Olympian Charles Jock will be running the 800 meters.
In addition, several Titans will travel to the Fresno State Invitational on Saturday to participate in field events.
WEEKLY EVENT SQUAD RANKINGS – Top 40
Cal State Fullerton Men
No. 21 Hammer (avg. 52.70m)
No. 21 Triple Jump (avg. 14.04m)
No. 30 100 Meters (avg. 10.59)
No. 39 High Jump (avg. 1.94m)
Cal State Fullerton Women
No. 11 Triple Jump (avg. 11.90m)
No. 24 Pole Vault (avg. 3.73m)
LAST WEEK'S RECAP
Junior Trevor Gorwin became a two-time Cal State Fullerton record holder on Saturday as his throw of 60'9.25" (18.52 meters) in the shot put set the new Titan program record at the Triton Invitational.
Gorwin now holds the Fullerton record in both the hammer and the shot put as his mark on Saturday surpassed Don Turri's throw of 59'11" (18.26 m) which had stood since 1973. The Yucca Valley, Calif., native became the first Titan to exceed the 200' mark in the hammer throw on April 7, before becoming the first Titan to surpass the 60' mark in the shot put on Saturday.
Senior Ty'Jalayah Robertson placed third with a personal best mark of 40'9" in the triple jump at the Michael Johnson Invitational in Waco, Texas.
2017 RECORDS BROKEN
- Junior Trevor Gorwin became a two-time Cal State Fullerton record holder on April 21 as his throw of 60'9.25" (18.52 meters) in the shot put set the new Titan program record at the Triton Invitational.
Gorwin now holds the Fullerton record in both the hammer and the shot put as his mark on Saturday surpassed Don Turri's throw of 59'11" (18.26 m) which had stood since 1973.
- Naiah Boardingham set her second school record of her freshman year, while senior Ty'Jalayah Robertson matched her personal best and Cal State Fullerton record at the Mt. SAC Relays on April 14 on the campus of El Camino College. Boardingham's mark of 19'6" in the long jump was good for a third place finish and set the new Cal State Fullerton record, besting Anna Doty's mark of 19"5.25 from 2002. In the high jump, Robertson matched her school record and PR of 5'8", placing second in the event. She previously hit the mark in 2015.
- Junior Bryn Williamson broke her own Cal State Fullerton pole vault record on April 1 at the UCLA Legends Invitational at Drake Stadium. Williamson placed second in the event as her mark of 13'0.25" (3.97 meters) set the new Fullerton record. The Bakersfield, Calif., native became the first Titan to clear 13 feet in the history of the program. Earlier this season on March 4, Williamson's mark of 3.93 meters at the RCC Quad Meet had broken CSF's previous pole vault record (3.92 m) which had stood since 2003.
- Junior Trevor Gorwin broke his own Cal State Fullerton school record on April 13 with a distance of 202-10 (61.82 meters) in the hammer throw at the Mt. SAC Relays hosted by El Camino College. Gorwin previously set a new mark in the hammer throw at 60.9 meters at the Ben Brown Invitational on March 10.
- Sophomore Kelsey McKelvey broke her own record in the javelin throw with a mark of 42.64 meters on March 10, placing first in the event.
Cal State Fullerton broke five program indoor records during the 2017 season.
- Freshman Samantha Huerta set the program's new one-run mile record with a time 5:01.67 at the Huksy Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Sophomore Brianna Jacklin set the new record for the Titans in the 5,000 meters with a time of 17:53.49 on Feb. 10 at the Husky Invitational.
- The women's distance medley team of junior Arianna Fuentes (1,600), freshman Chanel Rogers (400), Huerta (800) and senior Sierra Ungerman (1,200) set the new Fullerton record with a time of 12:05.41 at the Husky Invitational on Feb. 10.
- Freshman Shelby Noble set a new Cal State Fullerton indoor track and field record in the pole vault with a mark of 3.75 meters at the Don Kirby Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Freshman Naiah Boardingham opened the season with a new long jump record of 5.70 meters at the Lumberjack Team Challenge on Jan. 21.
Junior Trevor Gorwin set his first school record in the hammer throw to earn Big West Men's Field Athlete of the Week honors, it was announced by the conference on March 14.
At his home meet, the Ben Brown Invitational, Gorwin uncorked a throw of 199-10 (60.90m) for a new PR and Cal State Fullerton record. He placed third in the event.
Gorwin also competed in the shot put, and fared well, finishing first overall with a mark of 58-01.75 (17.72m). That performance also was a personal-best.
Sophomore Diego Courbis was named the co-Big West Men's Track Athlete of the Week, it was announced by the conference on March 28.
Courbis posted a winning time in the 400 meter hurdles at the UC Riverside Spring Track Classic. He finished in 52.52, the top time in the Big West by .84 seconds this season, and ranked him No. 15 in the West Region and No. 23 in the NCAA. He shared the honor with UC Irvine senior Lloyd Sicard.
Bryn Williamson became the first pole vaulter in Titan program history to clear 13 feet as the recipient of Big West Women's Field Athlete of the Week award on April 4. She finished second in the event at the UCLA Legends Invite on April 1, posting a mark of 13-00.25. She broke her own previous record of 12-10.75 set earlier this year at the RCC Quad Meet, which at the time broke a school record that had stood since 2003.
Darion Zimmerman earned Big West Men's Track Athlete of the Week accolades on April 4 after recording personal-bests in two events at the UCLA Legends Invite on April 1.
Zimmerman ran a 10.57 in the 100 meters and blazed to a 21.16 finish in the 200 meters. Both performances netted him third place at the prestigious meet.
Anthony Applequist collected his first career Big West Men's Field Athlete of the Week award on April 11 as he set personal and meet records at the Big West Challenge. In winning the triple jump with a mark of 51-00.00 at Long Beach State's Jack Rose Track, he set a new meet record while also placing fourth with a PR of 23-00.50 of long jump.
UP NEXT: Cal State Fullerton will host the Big West Combined Events Championship on Friday-Saturday, April 5-6. The remainder of the squad will competed at the OXY Invite in Eagle Rock, Calif.
LONGEST-TENURED COACH: As the 2017 season gets underway, cross country and track and field head coach John Elders enters his 29th season at the helm of each program making him the longest tenured head coach in the history of Cal State Fullerton.
Elders was tied with former fencing head coach Heizaburo Okawa (1982-2006) and former men's soccer coach Al Mistri (1981-2005) for 25 years of service at Fullerton. The Orange County native is coach of cross country, women's indoor track and field, and men's and women's outdoor track and field.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (@FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the track and field and cross country teams have established their own official Twitter page (@FullertonTFXC) and Facebook Page (@FullertonTFXC).