Titans on the Road this Week
2017 Michael Johnson Invitational Information Page
UCSD Triton Invite | Triton Track & Field Stadium | La Jolla, Calif. | April 21-22
UCSD Triton Invite Program (PDF)
FULLERTON, Calif. --- The Cal State Fullerton outdoor track and field team has two meets on the schedule this weekend, traveling to Waco, Texas for the 2017 Michael Johnson Invitational hosted by Baylor and heading south to La Jolla for the UCSD Triton Invite.
WEEKLY EVENT SQUAD RANKINGS – Top 40
Cal State Fullerton Men
No. 19 Triple Jump (average 46'1")
No. 21 Hammer (average 172'11")
No. 26 100 Meters (average 10.59)
No. 34 High Jump (average 6'4.5")
No. 36 400 Meters (average 48.15)
No. 39 200 Meters (average 21.44)
Cal State Fullerton Women
No. 11 Triple Jump (average 38'9.5")
No. 21 Pole Vault (average 12'2.5"
LAST WEEK'S RECAP
Naiah Boardingham set her second school record of her freshman year, while senior Ty'Jalayah Robertson matched her personal best and Cal State Fullerton record at the Mt. SAC Relays on Friday on the campus of El Camino College.
Boardingham's mark of 19'6" in the long jump was good for a third place finish and set the new Cal State Fullerton record, besting Anna Doty's mark of 19"5.25 from 2002.
In the high jump, Robertson matched her school record and PR of 5'8", placing second in the event. She previously hit the mark in 2015.
Bryn Williamson won the pole vault at 12'11.5" on Friday.
Junior Trevor Gorwin broke his own Cal State Fullerton school record on Thursday with a distance of 202-10 (61.82 meters) in the hammer throw at the Mt. SAC Relays.
Junior Arianna Fuentes set a personal best in the 3,000 meter steeplechase clocking a time of 10:44.67 to finish in 24th.
Mia Franco set a new personal best clocking a time of 57.63 in the 400 meters to finish fourth. Franco also set a new PR with a time 25.64 in the 200 meters.
2017 RECORDS BROKEN
- Naiah Boardingham set her second school record of her freshman year, while senior Ty'Jalayah Robertson matched her personal best and Cal State Fullerton record at the Mt. SAC Relays on April 14 on the campus of El Camino College. Boardingham's mark of 19'6" in the long jump was good for a third place finish and set the new Cal State Fullerton record, besting Anna Doty's mark of 19"5.25 from 2002. In the high jump, Robertson matched her school record and PR of 5'8", placing second in the event. She previously hit the mark in 2015.
- Junior Bryn Williamson broke her own Cal State Fullerton pole vault record on April 1 at the UCLA Legends Invitational at Drake Stadium. Williamson placed second in the event as her mark of 13'0.25" (3.97 meters) set the new Fullerton record. The Bakersfield, Calif., native became the first Titan to clear 13 feet in the history of the program. Earlier this season on March 4, Williamson's mark of 3.93 meters at the RCC Quad Meet had broken CSF's previous pole vault record (3.92 m) which had stood since 2003.
- Junior Trevor Gorwin broke his own Cal State Fullerton school record on April 13 with a distance of 202-10 (61.82 meters) in the hammer throw at the Mt. SAC Relays hosted by El Camino College. Gorwin previously set a new mark in the hammer throw at 60.9 meters at the Ben Brown Invitational on March 10.
- Sophomore Kelsey McKelvey broke her own record in the javelin throw with a mark of 42.64 meters on March 10, placing first in the event.
Cal State Fullerton broke five program indoor records during the 2017 season.
- Freshman Samantha Huerta set the program's new one-run mile record with a time 5:01.67 at the Huksy Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Sophomore Brianna Jacklin set the new record for the Titans in the 5,000 meters with a time of 17:53.49 on Feb. 10 at the Husky Invitational.
- The women's distance medley team of junior Arianna Fuentes (1,600), freshman Chanel Rogers (400), Huerta (800) and senior Sierra Ungerman (1,200) set the new Fullerton record with a time of 12:05.41 at the Husky Invitational on Feb. 10.
- Freshman Shelby Noble set a new Cal State Fullerton indoor track and field record in the pole vault with a mark of 3.75 meters at the Don Kirby Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Freshman Naiah Boardingham opened the season with a new long jump record of 5.70 meters at the Lumberjack Team Challenge on Jan. 21.
Junior Trevor Gorwin set a school record in the hammer throw to earn Big West Men's Field Athlete of the Week honors, it was announced by the conference on March 14.
At his home meet, the Ben Brown Invitational, Gorwin uncorked a throw of 199-10 (60.90m) for a new PR and Cal State Fullerton record. He placed third in the event.
Gorwin also competed in the shot put, and fared well, finishing first overall with a mark of 58-01.75 (17.72m). That performance also was a personal-best.
Sophomore Diego Courbis was named the co-Big West Men's Track Athlete of the Week, it was announced by the conference on March 28.
Courbis posted a winning time in the 400 meter hurdles at the UC Riverside Spring Track Classic. He finished in 52.52, the top time in the Big West by .84 seconds this season, and ranked him No. 15 in the West Region and No. 23 in the NCAA. He shared the honor with UC Irvine senior Lloyd Sicard.
Bryn Williamson became the first pole vaulter in Titan program history to clear 13 feet as the recipient of Big West Women's Field Athlete of the Week award on April 4. She finished second in the event at the UCLA Legends Invite on April 1, posting a mark of 13-00.25. She broke her own previous record of 12-10.75 set earlier this year at the RCC Quad Meet, which at the time broke a school record that had stood since 2003.
Darion Zimmerman earned Big West Men's Track Athlete of the Week accolades on April 4 after recording personal-bests in two events at the UCLA Legends Invite on April 1.
Zimmerman ran a 10.57 in the 100 meters and blazed to a 21.16 finish in the 200 meters. Both performances netted him third place at the prestigious meet.
Anthony Applequist collected his first career Big West Men's Field Athlete of the Week award on April 11 as he set personal and meet records at the Big West Challenge. In winning the triple jump with a mark of 51-00.00 at Long Beach State's Jack Rose Track, he set a new meet record while also placing fourth with a PR of 23-00.50 of long jump.
UP NEXT: Cal State Fullerton will close the month of April at the Steve Scott Invite in Irvine, Calif. (April 28-29) and the Fresno State Invitational (April 29).
LONGEST-TENURED COACH: As the 2017 season gets underway, cross country and track and field head coach John Elders enters his 29th season at the helm of each program making him the longest tenured head coach in the history of Cal State Fullerton.
Elders was tied with former fencing head coach Heizaburo Okawa (1982-2006) and former men's soccer coach Al Mistri (1981-2005) for 25 years of service at Fullerton. The Orange County native is coach of cross country, women's indoor track and field, and men's and women's outdoor track and field.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (@FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the track and field and cross country teams have established their own official Twitter page (@FullertonTFXC) and Facebook Page (@FullertonTFXC).