FULLERTON, Calif. --- The Cal State Fullerton outdoor track and field team returns to action on Thursday for three days of competition at the fourth-annual UC Riverside Spring Track Classic at UC Riverside Track and Field Stadium.
The meet will begin at 11 a.m., Thursday with the decathlon and followed by the heptathlon starting at noon. On Friday, the decathlon begins at 11 a.m., the heptathlon starts at noon and the women's and men's hammer throw at 3 p.m.
On Saturday, the field events begin at 10 a.m., and the running events will start at 12:40 p.m.
THE FIELD: Azusa Pacific, Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, North Dakota State, Southern Utah, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, Utah, Utah Valley, Wisconsin.
RESULTS: Finished Results will provide live results of the meet by app only. FullertonTitams.com will provide updated results at the end of each day.
USC TROJAN INVITATIONAL RECAP:
Junior Arianna Fuentes topped her personal best in the 3,000 meter steeplechase by 43.1 seconds as she clocked a time of 10:49.25 to place second on the first day of competition at the USC Trojan Invitational at Loker Stadium on Friday. Her time currently ranks first in the Big West Conference this season.
Freshman Bertha Sola also set a new PR in the hammer throw as her mark of 45.81 meters was good for second place.
Trevor Gorwin set a PR with a throw of 17.82 meters in the shot put, placing him fourth, while recording the second-best mark in the league this year.
Anthony Applequist set a PR in the triple jump at 15.55 meters, which was good for second place and currently tops the Big West Conference.
Samantha Huerta clocked a time of 4:33.55 in the 1,500 meters, a season best and PR for the freshman and a mark that ranks third in the Big West. She placed sixth.
Ty'Jalayah Robertson placed third at 1.68m in the high jump, with her best mark of the season, which also rates third in the Big West this year.
2017 RECORDS BROKEN
- Junior Trevor Gorwin set a new mark in the hammer throw at 60.9 meters at the Ben Brown Invitational on March 10, besting Steven Parsons record of 58.6 meters set in 2016.
- In addition, sophomore Kelsey McKelvey broke her own record in the javelin throw with a mark of 42.64 meters on March 10, placing first in the event.
- Redshirt junior Bryn Williamson was the first Titan to set a new record during the outdoor season as her mark of 3.93 meters in the pole vault was not only good for a first-place finish at the RCC Quad Meet on March 4, but broke the CSF program record, besting Jennifer Clarke's mark of 3.92 meters from 2003.
Cal State Fullerton broke five program indoor records during the 2017 season.
- Freshman Samantha Huerta set the program's new one-run mile record with a time 5:01.67 at the Huksy Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Sophomore Brianna Jacklin set the new record for the Titans in the 5,000 meters with a time of 17:53.49 on Feb. 10 at the Husky Invitational.
- The women's distance medley team of junior Arianna Fuentes (1,600), freshman Chanel Rogers (400), Huerta (800) and senior Sierra Ungerman (1,200) set the new Fullerton record with a time of 12:05.41 at the Husky Invitational on Feb. 10.
- Freshman Shelby Noble set a new Cal State Fullerton indoor track and field record in the pole vault with a mark of 3.75 meters at the Don Kirby Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Freshman Naiah Boardingham opened the season with a new long jump record of 5.70 meters at the Lumberjack Team Challenge on Jan. 21.
Cal State Fullerton junior Trevor Gorwin set a school record in the hammer throw to earn Big West Men's Field Athlete of the Week honors, it was announced by the conference on March 14.
At his home meet, the Ben Brown Invitational, Gorwin uncorked a throw of 199-10 (60.90m) for a new PR and Cal State Fullerton record. He placed third in the event.
Gorwin also competed in the shot put, and fared well, finishing first overall with a mark of 58-01.75 (17.72m). That performance also was a personal-best.
UP NEXT: Cal State Fullerton will travel to participate in the UCLA Legends Invite on Friday-Saturday, March 31-April 1.
LONGEST-TENURED COACH: As the 2017 season gets underway, cross country and track and field head coach John Elders enters his 29th season at the helm of each program making him the longest tenured head coach in the history of Cal State Fullerton.
Elders was tied with former fencing head coach Heizaburo Okawa (1982-2006) and former men's soccer coach Al Mistri (1981-2005) for 25 years of service at Fullerton. The Orange County native is coach of cross country, women's indoor track and field, and men's and women's outdoor track and field.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at email@example.com. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (@FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the track and field and cross country teams have established their own official Twitter page (@FullertonTFXC) and Facebook Page (@FullertonTFXC).