FULLERTON, Calif. --- The Cal State Fullerton outdoor track and field team returns to Fullerton for its first home meet of the season, hosting the Ben Brown Invitational on Friday and Saturday.
Tickets will be sold at the Titan Track Complex for $5.
This will be the 18th straight year that the Titan track and field team has hosted the Ben Brown Invitational since its inaugural meet back in 1999.
RCC QUAD MEET RECAP: The Titans started the season with 14 first-place finishes at the Riverside Community College, UC Riverside, Pepperdine, Cal State Fullerton Quad Meet held at RCC on Saturday, March 4.
Redshirt junior Bryn Williamson was the sole Titan to set a new record as her mark of 3.93 meters in the pole vault was not only good for a first-place finish, but broke the program record, besting Jennifer Clarke's mark of 3.92 meters from 2003.
Junior Luis Matos was a triple winner in the 100 meters (10.56), 200 meters (21.56) as well as being a part of the 4x100 meter relay team along with Ryan Wade, Kasey Cory and Chaz Harmon as the team finished with a time of 41.83.
Malik Johnson, who missed all of last year with a shoulder injury, won the high jump with a mark of 2.05 meters. The Titans actually swept the high jump as junior Edwin Matthews placed second (1.95 m) and freshman Jahni Newhauser (1.90 m) finished third.
Ty'Jalayah Robertson's mark of 1.67 meters led the women's high jump contingent, while the senior also placed first in the long jump at 5.16 meters, followed by junior Laura Hamann (5.11).
2017 RECORDS BROKEN
- Redshirt junior Bryn Williamson was the first Titan to set a new record during the outdoor season as her mark of 3.93 meters in the pole vault was not only good for a first-place finish at the RCC Quad Meet on March 4, but broke the CSF program record, besting Jennifer Clarke's mark of 3.92 meters from 2003.
Cal State Fullerton broke five program indoor records during the 2017 season:
- Freshman Samantha Huerta set the program's new one-run mile record with a time 5:01.67 at the Huksy Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Sophomore Brianna Jacklin set the new record for the Titans in the 5,000 meters with a time of 17:53.49 on Feb. 10 at the Husky Invitational.
- The women's distance medley team of junior Arianna Fuentes (1,600), freshman Chanel Rogers (400), Huerta (800) and senior Sierra Ungerman (1,200) set the new Fullerton record with a time of 12:05.41 at the Husky Invitational on Feb. 10.
- Freshman Shelby Noble set a new Cal State Fullerton indoor track and field record in the pole vault with a mark of 3.75 meters at the Don Kirby Invitational on Feb. 11.
- Freshman Naiah Boardingham opened the season with a new long jump record of 5.70 meters at the Lumberjack Team Challenge on Jan. 21.
UP NEXT: Cal State Fullerton will travel to the USC Trojan Invite on Friday and Saturday, March 17-18.
LONGEST-TENURED COACH: As the 2017 season gets underway, cross country and track and field head coach John Elders enters his 29th season at the helm of each program making him the longest tenured head coach in the history of Cal State Fullerton.
Elders was tied with former fencing head coach Heizaburo Okawa (1982-2006) and former men's soccer coach Al Mistri (1981-2005) for 25 years of service at Fullerton. The Orange County native is coach of cross country, women's indoor track and field, and men's and women's outdoor track and field.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (@FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the track and field and cross country teams have established their own official Twitter page (@FullertonTFXC) and Facebook Page (@FullertonTFXC).